All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
alternative grains
      #44227 - 02/10/04 07:26 PM
Gisela

Reged: 02/10/04
Loc: Portland, OR. USA

I wonder why there is nothing about the use of other grains like spelt, quinoa, amaranth or buckwheat (kasha) in the book. Do you consider them too heavy? What about oatbran? I am in the middle of a more severe, longer lasting attack of IBS and looking for more help than I got from my doctor so far. Any ideas ? Gisela

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: alternative grains new
      #44234 - 02/10/04 09:26 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Gisela - There's not much about alternative grains in Eating for IBS because I was trying to keep it a little more mainstream. For every person who's interested in alternative or ethnic or health food store foods, there's someone else who wants everything traditional all-American.

With whole grains, you just need to watch out for too much insoluble fiber. Quinoa and buckwheat are some good choices to try - I'd be careful with others and have just a little to see how you do. Oatbran is very high in soluble fiber and should be just fine, but not everyone can tolerate it so again be careful at first.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#44290 - 02/11/04 09:14 AM
Gisela

Reged: 02/10/04
Loc: Portland, OR. USA

I forgot yesterday to mention that I have eaten these alternative grains, spelt, quinoa, amaranth etc. for quite a while and they seem to be fine. I had not eaten much wheat because it seemed to stuff up my nose and also made me bloated. I now tried your suggestion of sourdough bread and have eaten it the last couple of days. So I guess I just have to experiment....
Also: I don't understand that I was able to eat nonfat yogurt for a long time and have no problem. I don't eat it now or only a little spoon full in the evening before going to the bathroom. It seems to help my digestion (I do take psyllium husk powder). So, experiment with the yogurt, too? I do miss it very much. What do other foks do with that yogurt craving? Gisela

#44295 - 02/11/04 09:27 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Hi there! Welcome to the boards

Most of us eat soy yogurt. It's actually really good...

If you have constipation, dairy "pretends" to help the situation but it actually does more harm than good (do a search on this for more info.). Even if you aren't lactoste intoleratn, the casein and whey in milk, I believe they are the milk proteins, are what IBSers seem to have difficulty with across the board.

Hope this helps!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2541 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 646

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review