All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Safety of taking Fibercon for months on end?
      #4263 - 03/27/03 11:46 AM
Dan

Reged: 03/27/03

Hi Heather!! I see you are on the board now :)
Thanks for your guidance and inspiration!

I have a question about Fibercon.

For almost 2 months I have been taking 2 tablets 3 or 4 times a day...before meals generally. I drink at leat 8 oz or more liquid...water, tea or westsoy extra vanilla with it.

I also take Citrucal Calcium about 1000mg with proper amount of D for my age and a Multivitamin with it.

My question is about the Fibercon. I wonder if there are any risks in continually taking this substance in the quantities I am consuming. The drug info on bottles of this substance does not address this and I wonder if any research has been done on this or any experiences.

I also have not tried the chewable form of Fibercon put out by another drug company that I saw recommended on this board. Currently I just swallow the 2 Fibercon tabs whole with a drink. It is working for me!

Any thoughts on the above?

Peace
Dan

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Safety of taking Fibercon for months on end? new
      #4278 - 03/27/03 12:37 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Dan - You should be able to take any of the soluble fiber supplements indefinitely. They only have health benefits. For Fibercon, you could certainly take 2 pills four times daily.

There are earlier posts about this and Equalactin (which has the same ingredients as Fibercon). Check here web page

Think of the soluble fiber supplements as comparable to rice, oatmeal, pasta, potatoes. They're just the same type of fiber you'd get from those foods, so there is no downside to taking them. Just a lot of good benefits to your IBS and general health.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#4987 - 04/03/03 08:42 AM
Lisa37

Reged: 02/10/03
Loc: Trinidad & Tobago

HI, I'm new to IBS and the Board. Could you tell me why you take so much Fibercon? The box says 2 tablets once a day. Thanks, Lisa.

#5042 - 04/03/03 05:35 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Lisa - Welcome! The idea with soluble fiber (from foods or supplements) is that you want a constant amount going through your gut, as soluble fiber will regulate the contractions of your gut muscles and normalize bowel function. Two pills of Fibercon a day isn't enough for most IBS folks to stay stable for a full 24 hours. But 2 tablets taken four separate times a day keeps the gut filled with a good dose of soluble fiber, so it's constantly stabilized.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3804 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1014

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review