All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
safe foods
      #4248 - 03/27/03 10:12 AM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

Iwas just wondering if 'SAFE; FOODS could suddenly be not so good (I am talking bout rice porridge here), or is it just from not having enough to eat the day before that could make something seem to work not so good Any thoughts on this? Sharon, what do you think? :confused:

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: safe foods new
      #4258 - 03/27/03 11:21 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Louise - It sounds to me like you are caught in a chronic cycle of attacks at this point, where just about everything is setting you off. You need to get stabilized by breaking this cycle - it will mean eating nothing much but soluble fiber for several days, which is very boring, but it should work. Keep up your soluble fiber supplements as well. You need to get your whole GI tract back in a state of stability, and this won't happen with just one meal. But it should happen after several days - at the least you should see a marked improvement.

The breaking the cycle info is at web page

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#4260 - 03/27/03 11:39 AM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

thanks Heather, I will keep that in mind and see what happens and I will keep you posted. :( :)

#4266 - 03/27/03 12:00 PM
susaloh

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Kiel, Germany

Louise,

Hello, just a little advice to add to Heather's. On these days when you eat soluble fibre only, you might also want to eat kind of CONSTANTLY. My IBS, when it gets really bad, strongly dislikes long gaps between meals - just the fact that I eat on a hungry stomach (which I used to find absolutely normal) will then trigger an attack. When this happens I resort to rice cakes. I have rice for breakfast at 8 am, then rice cakes say at 9.30 and at 11.00, rice for lunch at 1 pm, more rice cakes during the afternoon, etc. I've learned to do it this way almost by accident because I just can't make myself eat large amounts of rice at a time, and therefore get hungry very soon afterwards. Anyway, you probably don't need to stick to rice but can eat other soluble fibre....

all the best
Susaloh

Yes - good advice! new
      #4268 - 03/27/03 12:09 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Thanks Susaloh. This is a really important point. The more you can keep your GI tract consistently filled with soluble fiber the better.

Louise - do make sure you're eating or snacking on soluble fiber every hour or two. Just small amounts, but keep this constant. Most people find that the emptier their stomach gets, the more prone they are to an attack when they do eat.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1613 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 520

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review