All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Corn = bad for me
      #42458 - 02/01/04 10:39 AM
bauie25

Reged: 11/23/03
Loc: Iowa

I did a search, but came up with only questions about corn-syrup... So, I was wondering if anyone else had problems with foods containing corn (almost EVERYTHING on the market!)?

I took most all of the corn out of my diet (as much as I could) and it helped my IBS tremendously.

--------------------
"If the sun isn't shining on your path... maybe you're not on the right one" --Me

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Corn = bad for me new
      #42466 - 02/01/04 11:43 AM
Debby

Reged: 11/05/03
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

I have problems with corn kernals mostly. Things that have corn kernals in them mushed up or dried seem to be fine.

Oh how I miss popcorn!!!

#42470 - 02/01/04 11:50 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Yes, corn is my enemy too. I'm okay with cereals and things containing ground up corn or cornmeal, but anything with the kernals or the skins kills me.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#42472 - 02/01/04 12:06 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

Yeah popcorn and tortilla chips bother me a lot. I don't like corn on the cob so I don't know if that does.

--------------------
IBS-C

It's likely the insoluble fiber... new
      #42496 - 02/01/04 02:34 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Kernel corn, popcorn, anything with whole corn kernels is going to have a lot of insoluble fiber and cause problems. If the corn is processed into corn meal, corn cereals, polenta, etc. the insoluble fiber is really pulverized and much less likely to cause problems.

For corn chips, make sure they're baked, not fried, or the high fat content will get you.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#42503 - 02/01/04 02:57 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

I have total problems with anything corn including corn meal, corn syrup, corn flakes, you name it. It even makes my face break out... no kidding. Even the tiny amount of corn meal on the bottom of english muffins makes me break out. Must be an intolerance of some sort. I've been aware of it for years, but keep thinking oh if I just brush the corn meal off the bottom I'll be okay, then next day, zit city!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

This sounds more like an allergy... new
      #42505 - 02/01/04 02:58 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

especially because it makes your skin break out. Any food reaction that affects your skin (hives, welts, rashes) is an allergy.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: This sounds more like an allergy... new
      #42574 - 02/02/04 08:36 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Thanks, Heather. I wondered about that! I'll avoid it even more carefully now. Good to know.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3943 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 778

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review