Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Normacol - Heather... new
      #41330 - 01/27/04 04:40 PM
Shellsbells

Reged: 12/16/03
Loc: NW England, UK

Ooh, thanks for the advice.

I checked the info with the Normacol - it says:
'Normacol granules contain 62% sterculia. Sterculia is a vegetable gum from the karaya tree...... Normacol also contains sugar (sucrose), talc, titanium dioxide, sodium bicarbonate, parrafin wax and vanillin. The sugar provides 7 to 14 calories per dose. The sodium content is 1.25 to 2.5 millimoles per dose. Normacol is gluten free.'

I think this means it's just soluble fibre??? does it sound safe?

There is another product called Normacol Plus, which contains 62% sterculia AND 8% frangula.

I've added a link below:
http://www.prodigy.nhs.uk/ClinicalGuidance/ReleasedGuidance/DrugList.asp?scenarioID=946

Hope this is helpful to you.
Thanks again, Heather
Shells

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: YW new
      #41331 - 01/27/04 04:43 PM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

Rice flour is my staple flour now. Then you add potato starch, brown rice flour, cornstarch, arrowroot flour, sorghum, tapioca starch, buckwheat........etc....but actually I don't use rye or barley at all. Most recipes don't call for those flours. I can't remember the last time I used oats or oat flour either. Most recipes you'll use will be gluten free and oats can contain gluten so not too many recipes will have that ingredient.

Re: Grains new
      #41333 - 01/27/04 04:45 PM
Karin

Kandee: I've been too chicken to try Kamut (I have a bag in my cupboard) as Spelt. I felt like spelt bothered me, so I added it to the regular flour I keep on hand for wheat cooking.

Re: Normacol - Heather... new
      #41335 - 01/27/04 04:56 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hey, this sounds good! The plain variety looks just fine - fabulous! Finally a UK option! Let me know how it works and if you like it.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Your update....... new
      #41337 - 01/27/04 04:58 PM
Shellsbells

Thanks, Kandee, you've made me feel much better. I've sort of subconsciously cut back on the wheat over the past few years anyway and any over indulgence always makes me suffer, so it's not such a great hardship. Sadly, I have a love-hate relationship with the stuff - it makes me sick, but I adore it with a passion and could willingly forsake all other foods in favour of it. I don't know why, it's not the tastiest or most exciting of foods (hmmm, suspect this craving/addiction is a tell-tale sign of a problem with wheat!)

Yeah, often my symptoms are more like an allergic reaction, although they build slowly over time and the more wheat I eat the worse it gets. I don't seem to react to it immediately. The pimples could be hives, they start off sore and itchy, but then develop little white heads just like acne pimples. I get really sore itchy eyes, styes, catarrh, tiredness, headaches, generally itchy skin and so on.

Like you, I'm a bit Irish, bit Scottish, mostly English and a bit French. I like to think of myself as a bit German too, as my dad lived there for 12 years (before he met my mum), could speak German and used to tell me about his 'adventures' when I was little, I also studied German and visited a couple of times!

I wonder, given my ancestry on this little island if i've inherited the fishing/potato-farming genes rather than any grain agricultural ones! Perhaps my ancestors were celiac but I've inherited a dilute version of that gene - hence intolerance, or maybe I have the potential to develop celiac eventually if I overdo the wheat for long enough? I don't suppose it matters, I'm just better of without it.

I'm lucky I don't have a severe allergy though, like yours, that's NO fun! I have enough allergies thank you, don't want any more.

Thanks for the support, you're all wonderful.
Shells

Re: Yaay Shells! new
      #41339 - 01/27/04 05:12 PM
Shellsbells

lol, Bev... Sadly, my doctor is so popular I have to book him weeks in advance myself!! Not sure how it works over there, but my GP practice is fairly large with about 6 doctors and you can see any of them, although you're supposed to get priority with your own doctor, it never works that way in reality. But it's often worth the wait to see someone decent when you hear what others have to face.

As for the wheat, yeah, that means the white stuff too
I have an affinity with wheat flour that makes me drool over bread, biscuits, cakes, pasta ......like nothing else. Just the mention of fresh warm bread or a cake and I can see, smell, taste and feel the texture in my mind! Perhaps that's the weird chemical reaction it creates in me!
lol

#41344 - 01/27/04 05:34 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

If in doubt about kamut or spelt either one, I suggest you go get the commercial breads made with both, seperately of course, then test them to see your reaction.

I can't remember the brand, maybe it's Food for Life, that makes an all kamut bread, and an all spelt bread. If you're near a Trader Joes they have them.

I've just gone back to the commercial, gluten free rice bread since my bread baking abilities leaves a lot to be desired.
For all the other things I, like you use a mix of different flours. I've just discovered sorgum flour and love it even though it's a bit grainy.

Are you trying to eat gluten free or just wheat free?
I'm curious.

--------------------

#41348 - 01/27/04 05:46 PM
Karin

Wheat free at the moment.

Re: Update on Shells new
      #41503 - 01/28/04 12:14 PM
Karin

Shells: here is what your pantry will look like after you change to a no-wheat diet.........lol. Kandee, what does yours look like? I bought out all the plastics from my local store to do that and I still don't have enough.....lol. Those are just different flours, nothing more. Wheat free Pantry

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3856 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3209

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review