All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Lactaid
      #4023 - 03/25/03 06:09 AM
wac

Reged: 03/24/03
Loc: Casselberry, FL

I have a question about Lactaid milk. I've been drinking the Fat Free Calcium Fortified Lactaid and it doesn't seem to bother me. The ingredients don't include any Casein or Whey. The ingredients are: Fat Free Milk, Tribasic Calcium Phosphate, Guar Gum, Lactase Enzyme, Vitamin A Palmitate and Vitamin D. Does anyone else have luck with lactose free products? Should I continue drinking it?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Lactaid new
      #4032 - 03/25/03 07:29 AM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

wac - Lactaid doesn't give me gas (or any other symptoms) either. But regular dairy products do. I drink soy, rice or almond milk just as a personal preference. My husband drinks Lactaid because regular milk gives him diarrhea if he drinks too much so he plays it safe.

We're all different when it comes to ibs.

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

Re: Lactaid attention Heather new
      #4270 - 03/27/03 12:19 PM
wac

Please let me know if the Lactaid milk is OK. I've listed the ingredients in the question part of this response. I don't see any indications of casein or whey. I'm a little confused as I did not enjoy the soy or rice milk versions. Lactaid doesn't seem to bother me. Perhaps its one of those foods that may be ok for me?

Edited by wac (03/27/03 12:20 PM)

#4271 - 03/27/03 12:25 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - Casein and whey are in all dairy products. They're dairy proteins. They won't be listed in the ingredients because they're not added to milk, they're an inherent component. There just isn't any such thing as dairy without whey or casein.

If you are completely stable and having no attacks, and you're drinking the lactaid, you may well be okay with it - especially if it's skim or very low fat. If you're not completely stable, I'd avoid the lactaid for about two weeks and see how you do. You don't have to add in soy or rice milks, just go without and see what happens. If you then stabilize, add the lactaid back in (have a glass on an empty stomach) and see what happens.

In general, the less of lactaid you can have the better, because dairy really is hard on the digestion. Try using soy or rice milk for cooking, and restrict the lactaid to using it where you can really taste it. Also, try a wide variety of soy and rice milks - they vary a LOT. Some brands are great (try Silk) and others are wretched. So if you've tried one or two times and didn't like the stuff, go get a wider variety of brands and flavors and give it another shot.

You may have some individual tolerance here for the lactaid that others don't. Just make sure that it's not causing problems, and then you can have it without worries.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#4273 - 03/27/03 12:28 PM
wac

Thanks a lot for the speedy reply. I hope you know how much this web site is beginning to help me. I just joined three days ago and already have had some anxious questions answered. I didn't know it existed until I finally bought one of your books (I intend to get the other asap). I've been suffering so long without help and you were out there all along! I've finally found it and it's great!!!!

Well, welcome to the board! new
      #4276 - 03/27/03 12:32 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Make yourself at home. And I hope you are feeling much, much better very soon!

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#4348 - 03/27/03 10:12 PM
kcj44

Reged: 03/23/03
Loc: Elk Grove, CA

Now I know why I always had problems with Lactaid milk and the tablets. Thanks for clearing things up on this. I have been using Silk Soy milk for almost two years now.

Karen

#4786 - 04/01/03 01:05 PM
Sweetwater

Reged: 03/01/03
Loc: NJ, USA

Hey wac, I can drink Lactaid milk too! Some days I can't, but other days, I can. Like today, I just had a glass of chocolate Lactaid milk! YUMMM! I love chocolate milk and I used to drink regular chocolate milk constantly, along with reg. white milk. I miss reg. milk sooo much!!! I used to drink a huge glass everyday!!! Now, I can't. Reg. milk KILLLLLLLLLLLLS me! I can live without reg. milk, but not chocolate milk. For awhile, the lactaid choc. milk was causing me problems, so I tried Silk Choc. Soy, and it was really good! I actually like Silk Choc. Soy milk way better than Lactaid choc. milk.
Like Sharon said, everyone is different with IBS. You may be able to tolerate the Lactiad, if so, you're really lucky!!! I can't stand most of the soy, oat, rice products! BLEHHHH! From my experience so far, I really like the Silk Choc. soy. All other Chocolate soy products suck!!! LOL
Concrete Angel can have Lactaid as well!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1140 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1731

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review