All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Question about Benefiber
      #3948 - 03/24/03 12:45 PM
Peanut

Reged: 02/09/03
Loc: England

Hello everyone. I am wondering for those of you who take Benefiber if you could maybe help me out a little. I am just about out of my Citrucil and would like to give Benefiber a try, seeing as my C is still giving me some grief and I am staying safe with the diet. With both Metemucil and Citrucil I had a scoop in the morning and at night. Should I do the same with the Benefiber? Any advice would be much appreciated!!

Sheri

--------------------
So much baking, so little time.....

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question about Benefiber new
      #3952 - 03/24/03 12:54 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Dosage is the same for both. You want to work up to 2T twice daily - with LOTS of water.

I really love Benefiber, so if you try it let us know what you think.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Question about Benefiber-THANK YOU!! new
      #3953 - 03/24/03 12:58 PM
Peanut

Thank you as always for your super speedy reply and actually give this one a try! Do you know if we can buy it in bulk at Costco?

Sheri

--------------------

Re: Question about Benefiber-THANK YOU!! new
      #3954 - 03/24/03 12:59 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Oooh, I don't know. The stuff is expensive, so that's a good idea. I think I might have just seen it there - pretty sure but not 100%.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Question about Benefiber-Will also check new
      #3957 - 03/24/03 01:23 PM
Peanut

The next time I or my grandma makes a run to costco, will check and let you know. It's not cheap is it. I am also going to check on Beano. I am thinking I need to take some while on holiday in June and not sure if the they sell it in the UK. Over there you have to go to the Chemist for everything.

Sheri

--------------------

#3971 - 03/24/03 02:51 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Sheri - Benefiber gave me "wonderfully powerful gas". I only took it once and I never wanted to go back for more!
Sharon

PS - it might be different for you, tho.

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

#3972 - 03/24/03 02:53 PM
SharonMello

Sheri - I know they have it at Wal-Mart and it's cheaper than at the drug store. Don't go to Costco very often--it's 1-1/2 hrs drive from here.

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

#3976 - 03/24/03 03:14 PM
H2

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Ohio

I have been taking Benefiber and love it. Metamucil made me bloat up like a balloon, but the Benefiber has been much more gentle (for me anyways).

Good luck with it!

--------------------
-h2
"Soluble fiber not included."

#3980 - 03/24/03 03:53 PM
NaturalBody4You

Reged: 01/30/03

I found Benefiber at Costco here in Reno, Nevada. Since I had a similar reaction as Sharon I only used it twice and changed back to metamucil. :-) Good luck finding it where you live.
Bonnie

Yes Benefiber is at Costco new
      #4000 - 03/24/03 05:56 PM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

Believe it or not I came home from Costco a few minutes ago and found the post asking about Costco/Benefiber and I had just picked some up. It was $18.49 for 11.3 oz, 80 (1Tb each) servings. Hope that helps!

#4004 - 03/24/03 08:19 PM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

hi everyone; what is the difference between metamucil and benefibre aside from the side effects or reaction from it if they both work the same?

Re: Question about Benefiber-Thanks everyone! new
      #4012 - 03/25/03 02:15 AM
Peanut

I just wanted to thank you all and I am keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't cause gas otherwise back to the Citrucil! I apperciate all of your responses!

Sheri

--------------------

#4034 - 03/25/03 07:37 AM
SharonMello

Louise - do a SEARCH on fiber supplements and then read the posts. The ingredients are the main differences.

Hope this helps.

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

Re: Question about Benefiber-Follow up question new
      #4179 - 03/26/03 04:27 PM
Peanut

I think I might have overloaded a bit with the dosing the past 2 days. How much should I start out with and for how long until I increase? I have been just taking a tbsp in the am and pm since that's what I have done with the met. and cit., but my body isn't liking that at all! The gas is back and tonight for a special encore my stomach hurts and is bloated.

Any suggestions? Drinking lots of water. My diet is safe and the only thing that I can think of is the 2 strawberris that I had with my dinner, but I shaved the seeds off and put in the oven until they were nice and soft.

Thank you in advance!,

Sheri

--------------------

#4194 - 03/26/03 05:59 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Hi - Start with just 1 t twice daily, and increase that 1 t at a time until you're up to the 2T twice daily. That can take a good week or two depending on your tolerance.

I'm really bummed to hear that people on the board are having some problems with guar gum/Benefiber. It's one of my very favorite supplements because it is just pure soluble fiber, no added ingredients at all. I'm frustrated that I can't seem to pinpoint a single soluble fiber supplement that works best for everyone - means people just have to try different types and see what's best for them. I wish I had a short answer - "yep, this one's the best for everyone" to this question instead of "well, try Citrucel, then Benefiber, or Equalactin...". *sigh*

- Heather

--------------------

#4197 - 03/26/03 06:09 PM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

You can't take this on your shoulders, every one of us are different, different triggers, different safe foods. You give us all the choices and we try them out. I'm bummed too, it seemed like a great product. You could even cook with it! The choices you give us are wonderfully wide, it's up to us to do the rest.......

Re: Question about Benefiber-Follow up question-Heather new
      #4215 - 03/27/03 04:41 AM
Peanut

I agree with Karin, you are doing an AMAZING job! We all are different, but thanks to you have the different choices to try and choose from. I will give the 1 tsp a day and see how I do for the next few days. THANK YOU FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP AND CONCERN!! You truly are a great friend to all of us! That is an extremely demanding job and I think you deserve a standing ovation and an award!!! (The little award on the post is the best I can do right now LOL!)

Sheri

--------------------

Re: Question about Benefiber-Follow up question-Heather new
      #4272 - 03/27/03 12:27 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Well, thank you very much. You really just made my day!!! I'm trying to get off the boards quickly today - it's my birthday, and as you're in Seattle with me you know that it's sunny and gorgeous out. Time to leave the computer, go outside, and have a good time!

- H

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 844 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3500

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review