All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Indigestion
      #38093 - 01/16/04 03:04 PM
Shellsbells

Reged: 12/16/03
Loc: NW England, UK

I know I mentioned this the other day, but since starting the acacia I'm getting fairly continuous indigestion and a little nausea and a pain/ache in my back under my right shoulder-blade (which I assume is trapped wind related to the indigestion) - before this I never suffered from either of these symptoms in my life.

At the moment, it's only mild, but I'm finding it a little difficult. I know it's the acacia because it starts after just my first few sips and then sort of repeats on me through the day. it then came back again after eating my sandwich at lunchtime. Is this my own personal reaction to the fibre supplement or can I expect this to settle down (it's been a couple of weeks so far)?

Thanks
shellsbells

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Indigestion new
      #38097 - 01/16/04 03:12 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Oh geez, I haven't heard this from anyone else. I'm so sorry.

Are you drinking it in just plain water? Have you tried adding it to moist foods instead of liquid? Or to one of your favorite herbal teas, especially fennel?

The best thing I can think to do is just drop your dose, and keep it low, and hopefully any gas/bloating from the supplement will stop, and then you can increase. You might also take it after a meal or snack instead of before, especially with soluble fiber foods. That might let you sneakily get your gut adjusted to the Acacia, and once you adjust you should be able to have it on an empty stomach.

Please let me know how things go.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Good suggestions, btw..... new
      #38105 - 01/16/04 03:30 PM
Shellsbells

Thanks Heather, I hadn't thought of any of that, I'll give it a try, maybe mix it with my porridge oats in the morning.

btw, I'm going to get another test for Celiac from my doctor as I'm still struggling a little to get stable. When I was first tested I'd been eating little or no wheat for some time and hadn't realised that reducting your intake of gluten could affect the test results - I thought it was just like an allergy - you're either allergic or you're not. Thought it was better to double check this, just incase.

Speaking of which, the only other major change I made in addition to starting acacia is increasing the amount of wheat in my diet, now at least one meal a day usually lunch-time is wheat based. But I do notice a feeling like I need to burp or something when I drink the acacia...

Celiac is a concern for me as my grandparents were Irish, my dad was diabetic and I've had a slighly swollen tummy and dark circles under my eyes for as long as I can remember. I did think celiac caused terrible constant D, whereas I've been more chronically C with bouts of D more recently...but we'll see. My GP appointment is on 27th Jan, I assume he'll arrange another blood-test then.

Shells

Re: Good suggestions, btw..... new
      #38109 - 01/16/04 03:39 PM
angelfire

Reged: 12/09/03

Shells...what you're saying about the celiac disease makes me wonder...you said the bloated tummy and under-eye circles you've had all you're life? I've always had a "pooch", no matter what my weight. I also have dark, puffy circles under my eyes, and I've been asked before what kind of eyeshadow I'm wearing (I don't wear eyeshadow) by some people, because of the dark circles around the top part of my eyes, and under the eyebrows. Is this related to anything else, that you know of? Maybe I need to get tested for celiac/wheat allergies as well.

Celiac new
      #38135 - 01/16/04 03:59 PM
Shellsbells

Before you self-treat for IBS you should have been tested for just about every other possibility, including celiac and allergies. LOADS of other illnesses/conditions can mimic the signs of IBS so you should insist to your doctor that anything else be ruled out first.

I was tested for celiac, but I had virtually (although probably not completely) cut out wheat before having the test done, so I think I need to get it done again now that I'm eating wheat.

It could be that you have allergies, celiac, whatever else, and NOT IBS at all, or that you have another condition in addition to IBS. It's important to get an accurate diagnosis from your doctor/GI.

I wouldn't say swollen tummy and dark eye circles are indicative of celiac, in themselves, but I also have some strange symptoms which I don't think are connected to the IBS, pale pasty skin (people always used to ask if I was sick, even though I was incredibly fit) hair loss (at age 17) which never grew back; I also had a seizure one night after having a REALLY bad tummy pain all day. AND I have Irish ancestry, which increases the chances. Ultimately, even all these pointers may not mean I have celiac - the only way is to be tested.

Have a look around the rest of this site - Heather has a list of questions to ask your doctor etc and then get an accurate diagnosis.

Shells

Re: Celiac new
      #38143 - 01/16/04 04:03 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - Make sure you've been eating gluten for at least 4-6 weeks before you're retested for celiac. Ruchie has a bunch of good past posts about all this on the diet board.

Also, they've recently found that celiac can cause constipation and not just diarrhea. Check back issues of the IBS newsletter and even better the IBS research library board under the celiac category for the clinical studies.

The IBS diagnostic info and Questions to ask your doc are both in the IBS Glossary, which you can find in the footer of every page - just scroll way down and you'll see the link.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Thanks, Heather - I'll do it properly this time to be sure - nt new
      #38150 - 01/16/04 04:08 PM
Shellsbells

#38161 - 01/16/04 04:17 PM
sherr1

Reged: 10/07/03
Loc: Southern, Calif

Interesting? I'm irish decended also and french, They tested for celiac said was clear, I hadn't had much of anything to eat for weeks. Idid eliminate wheat and gluten after my last test to two weeks and noticed a slight improvement in stablizing. I now eat some wheat and gluten in my meals, but try to use other alternatives when possible.

#38216 - 01/16/04 06:29 PM
angelfire

Reged: 12/09/03

I'm adopted and don't know too much of my ancestry, but the little information I do have indicates that I am German, Irish, English and Swiss. Kind of makes you wonder?

Re: Celiac/ how are you tested? new
      #38221 - 01/16/04 07:08 PM
StephS

Reged: 09/11/03

How are you tested for celiac? Is it a blood test?

Thanks!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1046 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1524

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review