All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
No Dignity When it Come to an Attack!
      #3770 - 03/22/03 08:40 PM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

Omigosh you guys tonight was the most horrible/embarrassing night ever!

I went for tea with a couple of my girls and I had apple pie (actually just the apple - no crust or anything)
and some peppermint tea. Anyways - I felt an attack coming on so I calmly headed to the washroom only to
find it was busy....all the stalls had someone in them. I stood and tried to wait calmly, but the attack was
coming and I knew I couldn't hold it anymore. I headed out in the hallway and took some deep breaths hoping
someone would leave the stall, but no one was budging so......I HAD TO USE THE MENS ROOM.... I listened and no one was in there and I HAD to go....in I went. I had never been in one before so I hope it wasn't just urinals.

I thought worse case I could laugh and pretend to be embarrassed about "accidentally" using the wrong washroom.
But I was so scared I just quickly as I could finished up and washed my hands (those taps were brand new - I don't
think men wash their hands after washroom visits LOL - not to group all men the same) and headed out of there.

I have learnt that IBS will take away all dignity you have and leave you frantic. You pretty much just do watcha gotta do!

Just thought I would share,

Lana_Marie

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: No Dignity When it Come to an Attack! new
      #3773 - 03/22/03 08:58 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Although this has never happened to me (yet! ), at least I don't feel so alone. IBS always manages to put you in a weird/embarrassing situation at some point. Well, at least you made it! I think you did the right thing. What else were you supposed to do? And you survived. And it seems like you can look back now & at least find some humor in the situation, judging from your taps comment. I think that finding (or at least trying to find) some kind of humor helps me get over it somewhat & move on. Otherwise I'd go insane!!

Hope you're feeling better!!

#3775 - 03/22/03 09:04 PM
Lana_Marie

Well - I found humor in it with you guys because you all understand ....but I couldn't bear to tell my friends
just because (although I know they would understand) I just felt too embarrassed to even bring it up.

The funniest part - because I pulled up my skirt so quickly I broke off a nail (I colored bright red). The next
poor fellow to go in there is gonna think ..."Ohmigosh there was a transvestite in here last"LOL. It would be worth
a second embarassing trip in there just to see the look on that persons face LOL.

Lana_Marie

--------------------
Lana_Marie

#3778 - 03/22/03 09:28 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Haha! Wouldn't you love to be a fly on the wall then! LOL

So, basically no body knows but us? You didn't tell your friends, no one came in while you were in the mens room, & no one saw you go in/come out? I think you did pretty well for yourself then! And, like I said before, you survived. That's all that matters.

I don't share my stories with my friends either. Just my boyfriend & my mom. More so, my mom. For some reason, talking to her, we manage to see the humor. When things are happening, I just think, "Wait till I tell her this one...jeez!" I don't know why...I know it's weird, but it helps me get through it.

You should have heard us when I was telling her my story a few weeks ago when the darn toilet overflowed on me at work...talk about mortifying!! But, that's a whole other story! And look at me. I survived too!

Re: You did well! new
      #3781 - 03/22/03 09:37 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Lana Marie,

You really did well! You came through a difficult situation and are even able to see the light side of it now. I wish none of us had to even go through this but then I am so thankful for this site as it's a wealth of support!

Do you think they snuck something in with the apple? Or did you have a main course there that was a bit suspicious?

Hope you're feeling better.
Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#3784 - 03/22/03 09:51 PM
Lana_Marie

I was sitting there thinking Don is never going to believe this one! (That's my husband)

I just talked to him tonight - when I got home I called him on his cell (he's out with the boys) and he's like
"Oh Honey, my goodness are you ok" Like I got kidnapped or something LOL. He's so cute!

Nope - no one came with me - I didn't have time to go back to the table to get someone. There was no lock
on the main door either so I just had to go to washroom and hope no one came out. The worst is when you know
you are in the wrong bathroom, if you do it "accidentally" it easier to be relaxed and just go and not think
you are doing anything wrong. But inside I knew LOL.

Lana_Marie

--------------------
Lana_Marie

Re: You did well! new
      #3785 - 03/22/03 09:54 PM
Lana_Marie

I think they probably baked the apple in butter because it was some kind of pie so that's my guess.

I am so happy we can all talk about these kinds of things with each other. I can't imagine not having everyone
here to talk to you. Don't get me wrong - it's wonderful to have my husband, but it's nice to have people
who understand the pain we got through.

I just want to thank you all for the wonderful support and happiness you bring me.
It's is much appreciated.

Lana_Marie
xxxxx (((((HUGS))))) xxxx

--------------------
Lana_Marie

#3791 - 03/22/03 11:11 PM
tlc

Reged: 03/06/03
Loc: Australia

You poor thing! You did some pretty quick thinking and we're all impressed. Boy, I felt frantic reading of your situation and knowing how close bad it can be when you've just 'gotta go' and FAST!

Well done!

#3797 - 03/23/03 07:10 AM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Lana Marie - Just so you shouldn't feel alone with your trip into the men's room, I walked into one by mistake and couldn't figure out why there were men in the ladies' room!! How embarrassing...if I remember correctly, there was a man standing at one of the urinals--that was my biggest clue that I had walked into the wrong bathroom!!!

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

Re: Quick thinking! You should be proud... new
      #3827 - 03/23/03 11:45 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

not embarrassed. They never put enough stalls in women's bathrooms anyway, so you can just think of your actions as a non-violent protest against a sexist bathroom system!

I've had to turn to the men's room in a restaurant too - suddenly had an attack coming on and really didn't have any choice. There was just one bathroom each for men and women, so I knew when I came out there'd by some guy standing there waiting, and I'd be mortified. But I made myself brave by thinking of my friend S. who does not have IBS, but who always uses the men's room if there's a line for the women's. And, when she's done in the stall, she comes out, washes her hands, and freshens up her lipstick in the mirror! So I thought of her and that helped me.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1108 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2394

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review