All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Re: Bingo. new
      #37685 - 01/15/04 11:45 AM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

it is good to have closure on some personal matters as well, in order to move on.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What's the cause?? new
      #37694 - 01/15/04 12:12 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Wow guys... I may be the exception that proves the rule. I first got sick when I was 13 at a summer camp, probably one of the places I've been happiest in my life. I get along with my parents fine and am not depressed! I feel so bad that you all have to deal with everything and the medical problems... I have a hard time just coping with my medical stuff! I don't know how you all do it, you should be proud of yourselves!

#37695 - 01/15/04 12:13 PM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

WOW! Chinagirl! Well, I guess that blows my theory LOL

That is so wonderful that you can say that though. I am so jealous of you

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#37696 - 01/15/04 12:16 PM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Sorry to be a party pooper, but I suspect most people at times suffer from stress and/or depression and /or family problems -- not just IBS people.

I, for one, am rarely ever depressed. I'm almost always happy (in spite of my IBS affliction). I may be a bit of a people pleaser (except when posting these contrary views!), but I am quite satisfied and happy with my life's decisions. In fact, I think of myself as extraordinarily lucky in all aspects -- especially in career and love.

In terms of what triggered my IBS, well who knows? From what I can tell (and from what my mother recalls), I was born with it. My mother has told me I had the symptoms as a baby. The only thing I will say is that I went through a very strained, stressful time with my parents during the mid-1990s and my IBS became much worse during that time and has never improved since.

My guess is that depression and/or stress could contribute to the triggering of IBS -- just as it would contribute to any illness, depending on whether you are prone. I also suspect that a good many people on this board may suffer (or have suffered) from similar things such as depression, stress and family problems, which may be one of the reasons they have turned to this board for support. This could give a false view to someone on this board that IBS people in general suffer from these things more than non-IBS people.

I guess in order to know for sure whether depression, stress and family (parental) problems are a common link for IBS people, one would have to survey both IBS people on this board and other IBS people who are (hopefully) doing fine without any support, as well as the general population.

I think Lana Marie's theory is interesting, but I honestly don't think IBS people experience depression or family-related stress much more frequently than the general population -- except obviously IBS can cause someone to be depressed and put them under a lot of stress, including in personal relationships.

I remember a doctor once telling me that everyone handles stress differently. Some people's stress goes to their back, others to their shoulders, others to their head (headaches) and others, like me (and probably those prone to IBS), to their "stomach."

Okay, I await annoyed replies to this posting!!!

Belinda

#37703 - 01/15/04 12:38 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Thanks. I'm jealous of your upcoming baby though... it will be a long time before I'll have the time and opportunity to have a baby. I have to finish my PhD and worry about the fact that women with children get tenure 30% less often.

#37711 - 01/15/04 12:56 PM
Sparky

Reged: 01/06/04
Loc: MI

I'd like to join chinagirl and Belinda to say that not all of us are depressed and dysfunctional! Too bad there is not a more happy common thread between IBS sufferers - as if having IBS isn't bad enough!

I have a great relationship with my family and I am generally happy. I am DEFINITELY not a people-pleaser. I am still trying to nail down what exactly causes my IBS and if in fact I do have IBS. It seems to be caused by things that aren't supposed to be triggers (sometimes even Heather's recipes bring on attacks) and sometimes I can eat things like pizza and I'm fine. Stress more often causes minor irritation than full-blown attacks. Who knows, maybe this whole IBS thing is somehow related to the fact that I was lactose intolerate, which I seemed to have grown out of by college.

But anyway, sorry to hear sad stories from so many. Hopefully we can all keep making progress towards feeling better both mentally/emotionally and physically!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~
STEF
~~~~~~~~~~

#37715 - 01/15/04 01:08 PM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

I agree, Lana...we all have so much in common....shyness, depression, people pleasing personalities, etc., etc. Maybe there is a link there that someone could research and get to the bottom (so to speak) of this (sorry for the wording there) . I think it has a lot to do with our chemical make up....I know that seretonin (sp?) has a lot to do with depression, and when I was on Zoloft for depression/anxiety, my IBS was better.

Maybe there is a cure after all if someone would research our common links.

#37719 - 01/15/04 01:20 PM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

That is so great that people are very pleased with their lives and have been so blessed! I have definitely been blessed in my adult life.

I guess not everyone drops in this category, but until I voiced it, it seemed like a common link.

And....this is why there is no given symptoms LOL

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#37723 - 01/15/04 01:39 PM
Shellsbells

Reged: 12/16/03
Loc: NW England, UK

I'm not so sure. I've had my share of severe stress in my life, and I'm of shy, slightly nervous, and introverted disposition; but so are my mum and 2 sisters who all lived through those years of hell with me. My mum suffers from severe depression, anxiety and phobias/panic attacks and my sisters are of similar disposition to me but....
I'm the only one with IBS.

I'm convinced IBS has a physical cause somehow, but that stress is THE major trigger that can tip you over the edge into life-interfering level of illness.

Also, there are many people with healthy, happy backgrounds who IBS hits quite early in childhood or much later in life. We don't all fit the same pattern.

Yeah, I'm like you... new
      #37729 - 01/15/04 02:04 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Happiest childhood in the world, great parents and family, loved school and did well, got hit with my first attack playing in a neighbor's backyard on a gorgeous summer day. Just - bam! - out of the blue, and I blacked out cold from the pain. I was nine years old, and that was the beginning of my IBS. There was absolutely nothing that can be pinned as a physical or mental trigger that would have started this whole thing. I was also nowhere near puberty, so it wasn't anything hormonal.

I do think after hearing from so many other people with IBS that I'm the exception, not the rule, so Lana Marie may be onto something. There are lots of theories about IBS that explain a good subset of folks with the disorder. The problem is that there are always lots of exceptions to the theories.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1100 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7671

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review