All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
No garlic or onion?
      #369737 - 07/08/13 02:25 PM
sarylynn

Reged: 06/23/13

I'm trying to figure out what I can eat, and starting to cook more from scratch. One thing that I am curious about is garlic & onion. Per the FODMAPS diet, I should cut it out of my diet. But a lot of Heather's recipes include one or the other, so I was wondering if I could use garlic or onion powder instead. I'm Italian, so the idea of no garlic is horrifying!
Also, do tomatoes & bell peppers affect a lot of people with IBS? I know that they are on the low fodmap list, but I think they are huge triggers for me.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: No garlic or onion? new
      #369738 - 07/08/13 02:37 PM
Sassie

Reged: 07/02/13
Loc: The Netherlands, Europe

I am not sure for the onion or garlic, but for the tomatoes: sometimes I have no problem with them but sometimes I cannot deal with the skin and seeds. Smashed tomatoes without skin and seeds are 100% safe for me. Maybe that works for you to?
Saskia

Re: No garlic or onion? new
      #369739 - 07/08/13 03:42 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Dehydrating onions and garlic does not remove the fructan. If this FODMAP group is a problem for you then yes - onions and garlic powder need to be removed or reduced. The good news is that not everyone has problems with this FODMAP group. It is a good idea to remove all sources of onion and garlic during the elimination stage. You can try introducing later and see if they are a problem for you.

Fructans are a problem for me. The good news is that you can make garlic oil. The garlic flavor gets imparted to the oil without the fructans.

The original research article on FODMAPs (see link 2 in my signature) there is a statement often overlooked by advocates of the FODMAP approach. It says "If adherence was strict, attention may be needed to modify intake of resistant starch and insoluble and soluble fiber. Other dietary triggers such as food chemicals may need to be considered, as should potential factors such as caffeine, fat, meal size and regularity."

The answer to you question is that low FODMAP foods can still be a problem. I cannot eat red peppers with skins. I can eat roasted red peppers with the skins removed. The only tomato product I can tolerate is tomato pasta. I use a lot of it

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Bell peppers are huge for me.. new
      #369740 - 07/08/13 04:18 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

the green ones more so than the red, and raw more so than cooked. I avoid green bell peppers completely, and I'm really careful with roasted red ones.

Oddly, other peppers - including the scorching hot ones - don't bother me.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4096 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2327

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review