All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Newcomer with more questions - excited to receive my products!
      #369535 - 05/17/13 04:25 AM
Kimba728

Reged: 05/05/13
Loc: Maine

Prior to receiving my tea, peppermint capsules, and fiber.. I noticed that organic peppermint teas were wreaking havoc on my stomach..should I expect the same w/ Heather's products? Just a little peppermint aftertaste this morning w/ use of the peppermint capsule.. but no stomach upset yet..Any comments would be appreciated. Thank you!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Newcomer with more questions - excited to receive my products! new
      #369537 - 05/20/13 01:22 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - if you're at all prone to heartburn or GERD, peppermint can be tricky. It's great for relaxing the gut, and that has lots of benefits for the lower GI, but relaxing the upper GI and the esophageal sphincter can then allow acid reflux if you're susceptible to that.

Some people prone to heartburn can tolerate peppermint tea, which is not as strong as the peppermint oil caps. But other people do better with the peppermint caps, because they are enteric coated to pass through the stomach and not dissolve until they reach the intestines. And some people just can't do peppermint at all.

I think this is really trial and error as it varies so much from person to person. Sorry that is not more specifically helpful.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Newcomer with more questions - excited to receive my products! new
      #369540 - 05/21/13 04:15 AM
Kimba728

Reged: 05/05/13
Loc: Maine

Thanks Heather, I think the peppermint capsules are working, yes, better than the tea itself... I take protonics too right now, but may try to wean off of it as I feel better. Kim

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3290 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1992

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review