Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Can Heather's Tummy Fiber "go bad"?
      #369264 - 02/27/13 08:57 AM
Mommyto5

Reged: 10/17/04
Loc: Massachusetts

Hi,

I have had IBS for decades. About 3 years ago I found this site and ended up ordering some of Heather's tummy fiber in bulk packages. Then, for some unknown reason, I stopped using it. My symptoms have since worsened (again - big surprise) and I am trying to get back on track. This includes starting up with fiber again. I found that I still have one bulk package of Heather's tummy fiber unopened in my pantry cupboard, but I am wondering if it is still safe to use after almost 3 years of sitting in my pantry. Should I just play it safe and toss it??? Or could I possibly save myself some cash and use it up before I have to order more??

Thanks
Janice W.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Nope - nothing in it can expire or become ineffective. A caveat... new
      #369267 - 02/27/13 11:16 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

you need to store it airtight, as it will absorb moisture from the surroundings. So, as long as it's been either unopened, or opened but stored in an airtight container, you should be just fine.

If it's been left out open or just loosely covered, eventually it will absorb enough moisture from the air that it will clump and taste weird, just as an open container of flour or baking soda would.

We do have to put a best by date on the label with the lot code - that is a food packaging requirement.

But the fiber is extremely inert - it's impervious to heat and cold, and nothing in expires or becomes ineffective over time.

So, no worries!

Best,
H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Thanks..... new
      #369270 - 02/27/13 03:16 PM
Mommyto5

Reged: 10/17/04
Loc: Massachusetts

Excellent. That saves me time and money. I will be able to start back on my fiber immediately and not have to either spend money on a new order or waste time waiting for it to arrive.
Thanks
Janice W.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2846 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1522

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review