Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Alternatives to Fennel
      #369247 - 02/23/13 06:37 AM
Mommyto5

Reged: 10/17/04
Loc: Massachusetts

Hi,
I really, really need help with gas issues, but I really despise the taste of the fennel tea. Can anyone suggest alternatives?

Thanks

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Alternatives to Fennel new
      #369248 - 02/23/13 07:21 AM
shelgirl

Reged: 09/22/09
Loc: Wisconsin

I will alternate with chamomile tea (or some variety with chamomile in..don't really like it plain) or ginger. I have also just heated water with a little lemon in...sometimes the warm water helps just as much...that being said maybe you can find something in your diet that is causing this and try to eliminate??

--------------------
IBS-D. Eating gluten and dairy free.

Re: Alternatives to Fennel new
      #369249 - 02/23/13 07:57 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Welcome back to the boards

I don't like the taste of fennel tea either and I find it upset my stomach too.

Check the first three links in my signature for an approach for managing bowel gas, spasms, discomfort, pain and D/C that has been clinically tested on large numbers of individuals with functional bowel disorders such as IBS. It dramatically changed my IBS symptoms including gas. Many people on the board now incorporate this approach with Heather's Eating for IBS.

Good Luck

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Peppermint, chamomile, ginger, oregano, anise, cinnamon new
      #369253 - 02/25/13 11:47 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Check the herbs for IBS section of the website here http://www.helpforibs.com/supplements/herbs1.asp These are all digestive aids, but honestly fennel is the strongest carminative, which means it is the most helpful for bloating and gas.

Also, if you brew peppermint and fennel tea together, it just tastes like peppermint - but you'll still get the gas/bloating benefits of the fennel!

Best,
H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Peppermint, chamomile, ginger, oregano, anise, cinnamon new
      #369265 - 02/27/13 09:08 AM
Mommyto5

Reged: 10/17/04
Loc: Massachusetts

Hi,
I just tried my first pot of mixed fennel and peppermint tea. Thank you soooo much for that suggestion. You are absolutely right that all I can taste is the peppermint so I sincerely hope that you are also right about still reaping the benefits of the fennel.

Thanks again.

Janice W.

Crazy right?! new
      #369266 - 02/27/13 11:13 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I learned that trick from customers - never would have thought of it! I actually tested it because it seemed unlikely that the peppermint would just completely cover all taste of the fennel, but it does!

I like fennel, so I don't often brew them together, but so many people really hate the licorice taste that this is a super great trick to know. So glad it helped you!

Best,
H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3643 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2868

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review