All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
GI doctors
      #368975 - 01/08/13 09:19 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

Once you've had a colonoscopy and an endoscopy and everything comes back normal, is there really any reason so go to a gi? I have an appointment tomrrow and I know the doc already told me that it is psychological. So, is there any reason so go back? I don't know if I should cancel my appointment. I don't need to be told this is all psychological. Any thoughts?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: GI doctors new
      #368976 - 01/08/13 09:30 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

It is worthwhile going back and see what the GI doctor has to say. You don't have to follow instructions if he tells you it is all in your head. On the other hand the information you get maybe useful

And you might take a copy of the second link in my signature and ask him if he knows of a dietitian or other resource that may be able to guide you.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#368977 - 01/08/13 09:43 AM
Cyndy

i don't have a job and just don't want to waste money. This doctor will not recommend anybody who knows about fodmaps. He already told me there is no diet to help me. He said to just eat what I want...and not worry about it.

#368978 - 01/08/13 09:50 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

If you take him a peer-reviewed article from a reputable GI research journal it may wake him up. It worked with my doctor The clinic has a RD who is now becoming an expert. Anyway try to go with a positive attitude and see what he has to say.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#368993 - 01/10/13 12:38 PM
Cyndy

I canceled late last night and when I woke up today to say I wanted to come in, my appointment had already been taken by someone else. Hopefully he will call me just to talk. In the mean time, I made an appointment with another doctor who might be able to help more?

so upset new
      #369001 - 01/10/13 04:42 PM
Cyndy

the office said the doctor would call me and talk to me. I ended up getting a call from a receptionist or someone and they said that the only advice/help the doctor will provide me is to go to the ER. No advice on medications, diet, nothing. I am so upset. Why won't a doctor take this pain seriously. He told me it was all psychological. I hate him for dismissing me. So what do I do now??? Get another gi doctor? Go in and see him and try to talk to him directly? I just want relief.

Heather...have you had this problem? new
      #369005 - 01/10/13 05:54 PM
Cyndy

what do you suggest I do now?

Fire him. He's an ignorant jerk who's not keeping up with his own field of research new
      #369013 - 01/11/13 04:48 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

and you shouldn't waste your time and money on him.

If you want diet specific info a clinical dietitian is your best bet. Start looking up local people and calling them and ask if they are familiar with IBS diets and anything else you want them to know. If they say yes make an appointment to interview them. They work for you, not vice versa.

Same thing with docs. If you have medical issues you really need a good GI doc for, make some phone calls and ask if he/she specializes in IBS, what their treatment protocols are, etc. If they can't give you 5 minutes on the phone (the advice nurse can do this if the doc can't) then they don't deserve your money either.

You are the boss. You are hiring these people to help you. If they don't/can't/won't then fire them, tell them why you are firing them (you'll feel better, I know from experience) and move on to someone who can help you.

XXOO
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Fire him. He's an ignorant jerk who's not keeping up with his own field of research new
      #369015 - 01/11/13 05:13 PM
Cyndy

I decided to cancel my next appointment and told the office I would be looking for a new doctor after they refused to offer any help other than to go to an ER, where I have been told to go before, and did.

It's difficult to find a dietician and a gi doctor who takes IBS seriously and doesn't have the opinion of "just live with it". You think I should seek out both a dietician and a gi doc?

Thanks so much.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1122 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3490

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review