All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Potatoes and constipation
      #368491 - 11/10/12 11:50 AM
leem

Reged: 11/10/12

Hi All,

I have a question regarding the diet. I was diagnosed with IBS Constipation in June and have recently began Heather's diet. It only occurred to me I was eating a diet that was basically full of insoluble fibre and probably too healthy. I did not eat much meat, carbs and mainly ate salad everyday and my breakfast was oats with a massive amount of wheat bran which unsurprisingly led to making me more constipated instead of going to the bathroom. I've tried hard to follow the main principles in the diet and leave behind my old ways but it's really really hard when you're used to eating a certain diet.

I had potatoes for the first time tonight and to say it helped my constipation would be an understatement but my question is What do people recommend I do to combat the fear of eating too many carbs? and also I love eating all of the vegetables on the insoluble list and want to know how to combine them into my diet with other sources of soluble fibre.

Thanks for any replies.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Potatoes and constipation new
      #368493 - 11/10/12 12:35 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Welcome to the board,

It is known that in some individuals the consumption of bran or high insoluble fiber foods can worsen IBS symptoms including C & D. Regarding carb consumption I find it helps to follow the USDA guidelines that recommend you get 45-65% of calories from carbs. Heather's Eating for IBS diet follows these guidelines closely too.

Heather has written extensively about concerns about increasing carb consumption in some of the sticky posts at the top of this board. Here are links to two of them that you may find useful.

All about Atkins, High Carb vs. Low Carb Diets, etc.

Irritable Bowel Syndrome Diet FAQ

On the insoluble fiber list web page there are some suggestions for increasing insoluble fiber intake. Also you may gather some clues from the recipe and newsletter archives.

A rule I have found useful for myself is to stick with foods that have more or equal amounts of soluble fiber compared to insoluble fiber. This includes the amount of functional fiber that acts like soluble fiber such as the guey stuff that is made when oatmeal is cooked. Heather recommends taking a soluble fiber supplement before eating high insoluble fiber foods.

Ask lots of questions

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Potatoes and constipation new
      #368498 - 11/12/12 03:59 AM
Susie1985

Reged: 05/04/11

If you want to eat really healthily, it's quite difficult to just get enough SF from food I find. One meal should ideally contain equal amounts of SF and IF as Syl said and here is a list indicating what foodstuff includes how much SF and IF:

http://huhs.harvard.edu/assets/file/ourservices/service_nutrition_fiber.pdf

you can just make up for the difference with a SF supplement (like Heather's SFS or Benefiber (without inulin) which I buy here in the UK)

wholegrains are particularly symptom-inducing I find, so I never eat brown rice/wheatbran/wholemeal bread/quinoa/millet or things like that. but I do eat veggies and fruits that have an excess of IF and I just take a SFS.

another caveat for that harvard link is that bananas and beans will have more SF due to the functional fibre they contain.

--------------------
now: stable through EFI+FODMAP dieting (no lactose/no fructose/some fructans and some polyols)

before: IBS-D(pseudo-diarrhoea), bloating, often unbearable pain esp from too much fat: Apr 2007- Dec 2010

FODMAPs: http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/072710p30.shtml

[I've tried VSL#3 -> I could tolerate v good amounts of IF (even with less SF), it worked great (but overall I find it too expensive)]

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4399 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1850

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review