All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS and Iron Deficiency
      #368121 - 08/28/12 09:18 AM
seashell

Reged: 05/22/09
Loc: CA, USA

I've had painful IBS-C for about 10 years. I recently went to the docs asking for testing to make sure it's IBS. They did a CT scan and saw that I'm missing a kidney (surprise!)and that my bowels were very distended with a ton of gas (a normal day for me.) My bloodwork came back very anemic or iron deficient. I'm not sure if that's normal for IBS but am worried about taking the iron supplements they recommended. I tolerate greens very well so I made a spinach/kale/mango smoothie for breakfast. Any ideas about iron supplements and IBS?

--------------------
IBS-C, gas & bloating
----------------------

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS and Iron Deficiency new
      #368122 - 08/28/12 10:56 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - there should be no connection between IBS and iron deficiency. You do want to be careful with your iron supplement, though, as some versions are constipating. Check here http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/faq.asp#vitamin for an article about that.

Oatmeal is a good source of iron and good soluble fiber for IBS as well.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: IBS and Iron Deficiency new
      #368124 - 08/29/12 01:53 AM
Susie1985

Reged: 05/04/11

you are female I assume?

For women and more so if they are not white (one of my friends of Pakistani origin has it really bad) iron deficiency can be a real problem (because of menstruating) and non-meat sources, from sources like green veggies and porridge, they are simply not absorbed as well as from meat sources (heme iron). you can boost absorption with taking vitamin C with the meals. if green smoothie with orange juice. oatmeal with fruit. spinach with peppers.

Are you a vegetarian? if not, eat perhaps shrimp. and venison. both good sources of iron and both IBS-friendly.

--------------------
now: stable through EFI+FODMAP dieting (no lactose/no fructose/some fructans and some polyols)

before: IBS-D(pseudo-diarrhoea), bloating, often unbearable pain esp from too much fat: Apr 2007- Dec 2010

FODMAPs: http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/072710p30.shtml

[I've tried VSL#3 -> I could tolerate v good amounts of IF (even with less SF), it worked great (but overall I find it too expensive)]

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 8416 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2656

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review