All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Conflicting info
      #36721 - 01/11/04 09:53 PM
AngelKitty

Reged: 12/31/03

ANyone have this problem.....I went to the health food store to look for some of the products you all had mentioned...and the woman, who says she has IBS too, freaked out on me when I told her about the diet....She said it is horrible . Firstly she said that only whole grains are good for anyone..but that in the case of IBS NO wheat products at all should be eaten...according to her that means no bread or pasta or crackers or cookies of any kind. Here I am living on bread and graham crackers and pastas....She suggested that I eat vegetables and fruits and poultry "like a big girl" and of course no dairy. But I'm not sure I can eliminate wheat products and I KNOW I can onnly tolerate small amounts of whole grains...Anyone out there eat them??? I can only imagine what diet advice my MD is going to give me (She also told me not to listen to him.) Someone please tell me this lady is nutso.... ALSO...Does anyone get 3 to 4 servings of fruits and veggies a day?? Right now I am not but slowly adding them in....

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Conflicting info new
      #36726 - 01/11/04 10:12 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

She's nutso alright, Gastro docs can't even agree. What works for you is what you should stick with, plain and simple. It's not hard, really to get the right amount of fruits and veggies. Bananas, applesauce, many canned fruits like peaches in their own juice, and then there's the veggies........well cooked of course.........it's unlimited unless you have a problem with the gas producing ones.

Read Heather's books, then re-read them again. You'll soon get the right message.

Don't listen to all you hear. I have 4 very close friends with IBS. They all think and eat differently, and wouldn't change, no matter what.

Kandee

--------------------

#36804 - 01/12/04 10:53 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - whole grains are healthier than processed grains, but they also have a lot more insoluble fiber, which can trigger attacks. Check here for how that works web page

There is no need to give up all wheat unless you're wheat or gluten intolerant - and this is different than IBS. Whole wheat can be problematic because of the insoluble fiber. Refined wheat, as in white bread or pasta, should be a good soluble fiber staple. If you haven't been tested by a doc for celiac, a gluten intolerance disorder, make sure you get that done. Celiac is often misdiagnosed as IBS.

Of course you'll be eating fruits and veggies -as many as possible. What matters here is that you get a good soluble fiber base so you can incorporate the insoluble fiber from the produce. The recipes will give you lots of good ideas just how to do that. Poultry is fine if it's white meat, skinless. So is seafood.

A good rule of thumb is to ask anyone giving you diet advice for IBS to cite their sources. They should be able to point to clinical studies showing that soluble fiber helps, that insoluble fiber hurts, etc. There are recent studies showing that fat and fructose can trigger IBS symtpoms. Anyone giving you diet advice should know this...and they should also know that there's nothing to show that gluten is an IBS trigger. You can check the studies yourself on the boards here in the IBS Research Library forum, under the diet section.

In the end, what matters is what helps you - that's all that really counts, so trust what your own body tells you more than you trust what anyone else, including me, says.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#37033 - 01/12/04 07:26 PM
AngelKitty

Reged: 12/31/03

Thanks...I have to say I have felt so much better these last 2 weeks since i've been trying the diet and acacia....I see the Dr again on Friday....

#37051 - 01/12/04 09:04 PM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

The lady does not have the information accurate at all.

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

#37211 - 01/13/04 02:26 PM
kctrun

Reged: 11/23/03
Loc: Virginia

I agree. At first eating this way seemed a bit strange, and I still have people tell me I eat all wrong, but I have not felt this good in a long time. It is not easy sometimes but you have to stick to what you feel is best for you. As long as you do get some fruits and veggies you are doing well. I know people who can not name the last time they had a green veggie. Hang in there.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4496 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 995

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review