All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Please Help! 14 yr old with IBS
      #366886 - 02/15/12 11:06 AM
concerned_mom

Reged: 02/15/12
Loc: Georgia, USA

My 14 yr old son has suffered with chronic constipation all his life, has been hospitalized 3 times with an impacted bowel. He suffers constantly with severe abdominal pain. Multiple tests have ruled out bowel diseases and he is not lactose intolerant. The pediatric GI doctors keep saying more fiber but the problem continues. I hate seeing my child suffer and have decided to try the IBS Diet. I have read both of Heather's books and studied the website and I am feeling VERY overwhelmed. As a single mom who is employed full-time, I don't have much time to plan and cook meals from scratch everyday. I want to do all I can to help my son but this plan doesn't seem managable for my situation. Is the IBS Diet really complicated or am I missing something?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Please Help! 14 yr old with IBS new
      #366887 - 02/15/12 07:00 PM
Marilyn

Reged: 05/02/03

Hi - I am so sorry your son is suffering so -

If you have not seen or tried this yet, you may want to consider trying this type of fiber for your son;

http://www.helpforibs.com/shop/suplmts/acacia.asp

Scroll down on that page for information.

Others here will help you re the diet and their experiences.

Hope you find some answers to help him. All the best to you.

--------------------
My Journey and Success with the IBS Audio Program Hypnotherapy Program: www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=hypnotherapy&Number=224850

#366889 - 02/15/12 08:29 PM
nutritionlover

Reged: 09/18/11

The IBS diet is absolutely manageable for those with a busy schedule! You definitely don't have to cook everything from scratch. If you post some typical meals your son normally eats, we can give you ideas for IBS safe replacements that will take a similar amount of time and effort to make.

--------------------
IBS A (more D than C). Severe GERD & Hiatal Hernia as well.

"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

#366890 - 02/16/12 03:11 AM
mradams1

Reged: 07/12/10

Hi,

I suffer from IBS-C and the advice to simply add more fibre, with no discussion about the different types of fibre, only exacerbated my symptoms. Please have a look at the following links; the first provides information about a low fibre diet, with the addition of soluble fibre supplements where required, and the others are detailed information on the low FODMAP approach. Both approaches, in combination with exercise and lifestyle modifications have helped me tremendously.

http://www.cambridgeshire.nhs.uk/SHP%20downloads/Workstreams/Gastro/Low%20fibre%20diet%20sheet.pdf

http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/072710p30.shtml

http://www.med.monash.edu.au/ehcs/breath-testing/practitioner-info/article2.pdf

--------------------
IBS A. Managing my symptoms with the EFI/FODMAP diet and probiotics.

#366892 - 02/16/12 04:22 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Welcome to the board,

Sorry to hear about your son. It may seems complicated to follow the diet but it is well worth the effort for both you and your son to learn what foods are safe and which are not. Also, it might be helpful if your son joined the board and asked questions too. Over the years a number of people your son's age have been on the board and learned to manage their symptoms.

It can be difficult for a person with IBS to live pain and IBS-C free eating commercially prepared foods since they frequently contain IBS triggers. Frequently commercially prepared foods are high in fat and insoluble fiber, contain dairy products, artificial sweeteners, etc. These may trigger bowel spasms causing IBS-D and pain. You have to read food labels very carefully to ensure they don't contain these trigger foods.

Besides following Heather's IBS diet you might read up on the FODMAP dietary approach to managing IBS which has been clinically tested and shown to be effective for reducing IBS symptoms in 70-80% of IBS suffers. This dietary approach can be incorporated into Heather's diet. It is the approach I have been using for nearly a decade with reasonable results. You can read more about the FODMAP approach in the first link in my signature. You might also make a copy of the research article in the second link in my signature and take it to your son's GI doctor for more advice.

Please asks lots of questions. There are many knowledgeable people on this board that can give you and your son good advice.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#366895 - 02/16/12 07:48 AM
concerned_mom

Thank you all for your advice, kind words, and concern. I must keep remembering that this is a journey and we'll take it one step at a time. By the way, the past two days have been much better for my son He has been drinking peppermint tea, taking Fibercon and eating a low-fat, soluable fiber diet...he is still constipated but is not bent over in pain. I'm not sure how to "get him moving". I am so afraid that he will become impacted again. Should I give him a laxative (Miralax, Milk of Magnesia) or will the Fibercon do the job?

Check the five constipation frustrations here new
      #366896 - 02/16/12 12:41 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

especially the part about transitioning off laxatives onto a soluble fiber supplement http://www.helpforibs.com/news/newsletter/060705.html#askheather

Also, it might help to add in a soluble fiber powder supplement, as it is difficult to get a high enough dose for constipation with just Fibercon capsules. They're only 1/2 gram fiber each, and constipation often needs 20 or even 30 grams a day of a soluble fiber supplement, which would mean 40-60 pills. Not practical with pills, but easy to do with a powder. Check here http://www.helpforibs.com/supplements/sol_fiber1.asp for a rundown on all your fiber supplement options.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Check the five constipation frustrations here new
      #366900 - 02/17/12 05:55 AM
concerned_mom

Thank you, Heather, for pointing me to The Five Constipation Frustrations (don't know how I missed it with all the reading I've done). I now have a much clearer understanding of the constipation/fiber issue.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1834 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9186

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review