All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Questions
      #366710 - 01/19/12 03:32 AM
rhip2001

Reged: 01/19/12

I have just read both books but have a couple of questions to better understand everything. I understand that citrus fruits are a careful food- I call it that because you need to be careful- you call them triggers. Is the same for citrus fruit juices? I would think not but need to ask.
Also- you mention in the sample meal plan that mu shu pork is a viable option. I know you said to ask for the mu-shu with low fat and no MSG preparation but won't the vegetables and pork cause problems? Is it because they are cooked and that breaks them down to be more easily digested? Is that the same overall? If I want the vegetables, they need to be cooked, right? Also- what about stir-fry- with no oil of course? Is that cooked enough- they are still crispy so they are still a problem- am I right?
I am still processing this so many questions are just my trying to get a grasp on everything. Thank you ahead of time.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Questions new
      #366720 - 01/20/12 05:18 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - citrus fruits you need to be careful with because of the insoluble fiber in the membranes and the acidity of the juice. For just citrus juice, the fiber is removed but it's still acidic. Be cautious, and see how you do with it.

I am unclear about the moo shoo pork question - there is no red meat on the IBS diet and no pork recipes in any of my books. What are you referencing?

Moo shoo veggies can be fine IF they are low fat (at a restaurant, ask for this) and they're well cooked. Have with white rice and the moo shoo pancakes for your soluble fiber foundation.

And yes, you're right, cooking veggies (or fruits) breaks down the insoluble fiber, making it more tolerable.

Stir fries with small amounts of oil are fine. But cook the veggies till tender, not just crisp tender, for the greatest tolerability.

Best,
H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#366726 - 01/21/12 07:22 AM
christine123

Reged: 01/21/12

Hi!

You know what, aside from cooking veggies why not try to eat them fresh. Cooking lessens the vitamins and nutrients from the fruits and veggies we eat. So, I suggest you drink or eat fruits and veggies while they are fresh. One way to do this is through juicing. Use the juicer I bought from this site http://www.juicerreviews101.com/compare-best-juicers

Trust me, its the best solution to your health concerns and fresh fruits and veggies are always the way to go!

Cooking veggies new
      #366727 - 01/21/12 07:35 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Welcome to the board;

It is a common misconception that cooking vegetables reduces nutrient content. In fact, cooking many vegetables increases the availability of good nutrients. You might find this article Fact or Fiction: Raw veggies are healthier than cooked ones in the prestigious journal Scientific American of interest.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#366728 - 01/21/12 08:04 AM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

I have to say I agree with you on the juicing. I drink quite a few juiced drinks throughout the day along with blended smoothies.

But some folks cannot handle raw veggies...it just tears up their gut. And they also cannot handle the juiced or blended fruits and veggies. So, their only option is to cook them very well.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1770 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2538

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review