All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Soluble fibre and juice
      #366498 - 12/06/11 03:23 AM
cookingwnothing

Reged: 12/06/11

I've had chronic IBS for years and only recently stumbled across your site. I know I have trouble digesting insoluble fibre but I want to include as many vegetables as possible in my diet. Is it safe to drink fresh vegetable juices as another source of vegetables since most of the insoluble fibre is stripped in the juicing process? Thanks!

--------------------
IBS-D with chronic gas

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Soluble fibre and juice new
      #366499 - 12/06/11 03:58 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Welcome to the board,

Genreally speaking, some not all of the insoluble fiber is removed in the juicing process. Some people find it okay while others cannot tolerate the remaining insoluble fiber. It is something you will have to experiment with to see if it works for you.

Good luck

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#366500 - 12/06/11 12:21 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Yes, for me, no problem. Since I am a vegetarian, I love juices at times, when in a rush. I drink a daily green drink. However, I don't do many fruit juices. It's just too much concentrated sugar for me. Start with a small amount and see how you feel. Good Luck!

I've had very good luck with this, and good feedback from others... new
      #366501 - 12/06/11 12:23 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I can juice just about anything and drink a lot of veggies and fruits that way. Have done this for years but just recently watched the movie "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" and it is certainly an inspiration to juice away even more!

Best,
H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: I've had very good luck with this, and good feedback from others... new
      #366502 - 12/06/11 12:26 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

I will have to check this movie out. Thanks, Heather!

Re: I've had very good luck with this, and good feedback from others... new
      #366511 - 12/08/11 02:33 AM
cookingwnothing

Reged: 12/06/11

That's great to hear! It seems to be working for me eating soluble fibre foods first without having to take supplements but I'm much fuller that I normally am (I used to eat a lot more raw food) so it's good to know I can give juicing a go to get some more nutrients into my day without feeling too full. I also watched that film a few months ago and also was inspired to buy a juicer!

--------------------
IBS-D with chronic gas

#366521 - 12/08/11 08:17 PM
IBSHelpWanted

Reged: 03/15/10

Eating soluble fiber first, and then eating insoluble fiber seems to work for me. However, eating insoluble fiber without soluble fiber isn't as easily tolerated. Does anyone here combine soluble fiber supplements with juice? Would that work? There aren't many great soluble fiber foods that one would want to mix in with their drinks.

Also, for anyone with fructose malabsorption, a similar issue would be had with excess fructose. With fruit juices, could combining glucose with the drink help balance out the fructose? Our bodies are able to absorb the fructose when it is combined with glucose, but I'm not sure if simply adding extra glucose to balance it out would work the same as eating foods that are already balanced. Maybe some of the free fructose still escapes, even if the drink as a whole is balanced with extra glucose?

--------------------
----------------------------------------------
Likely IBS-C and Fructose Malabsorption
Undiagnosed and going through testing process

Edited by IBSHelpWanted (12/08/11 08:19 PM)

#366524 - 12/09/11 03:52 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

There is some research going to determine how effective adding glucose to foods with excess fructose. It could be that the fructose has to be bound to the glucose such as in the form of sucrose. However, it might be worth trying by adding a teaspoon or so of dextrose (glucose) which you can buy at any healthfood store to a drink and see how it goes.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2850 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3598

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review