All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Constipation advice needed!
      #366213 - 10/05/11 07:56 PM
nutritionlover

Reged: 09/18/11

Hi everyone! I have had IBS A (mainly D) for very long time now. I have recently gone off zoloft and am experiencing the worst withdrawal! It's been almost 2 months now, and my stomach is still a complete mess. I normally have constipation once or twice a year, but am now experiencing it on a weekly basis! On the other days I am either normal or have loose/excessive bowel movements.

I need advice on how I should be eating for constipation. I know what to eat when I have D attack, but this is new to me. I know Heather advises we follow the same diet for both IBS-D and IBS-C, but are there any foods I should be eating/avoiding while constipated? Has anyone found any foods that are safe but help with constipation? Also, are there any foods that make it worse? I have been eating mostly soluble fiber and haven't been too sure about protein (like turkey), does it help or hurt?

Thank you so much!

--------------------
IBS A (more D than C). Severe GERD & Hiatal Hernia as well.

"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Check the five constipation frustrations new
      #366220 - 10/06/11 12:50 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

here http://www.helpforibs.com/news/newsletter/060705.html#askheather

Also check in with your doctor - the Zoloft was affecting the serotonin levels in your gut and helping with the constipation. You may need something to help your gut adjust to the loss of this drug, and in fact instead of having you go off the drug cold turkey they might want to have you titrate your dosage down gradually over several weeks to let your gut adjust.

Best,
H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4686 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1708

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review