All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Panda Puffs Cereal question
      #365217 - 06/22/11 02:28 PM
KellyJean

Reged: 06/22/11
Loc: Missouri

Hello Everyone! I guess I'm the newest member on this amazing message board. I echo all the comments I've read about this site being a HUGE blessing...WOW! Thank you, Heather, for caring enough about other people's pain and doing all of this for us!
I have a quick question about a dry cereal to munch on - similar to how Heather told us about Rice and Corn Chex, Corn Pops, and Honeycomb. Have you tried the GF cereal, Panda Puffs? They taste great (expensive...but then so are most gluten free foods!), and I THINK they pass the IBS test. Total fat=2.5g. Ingred: corn meal, evap cane juice, peanut butter, soy oil, sea salt, vit E, tapioca starch. If you think they're ok, they'd be a great addition to a dry cereal "trail mix!"

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Panda Puffs Cereal question new
      #365219 - 06/23/11 05:06 AM
SarahMc

Reged: 04/20/11

They sound okay to me!

--------------------
Sarah, IBS-alternating

“I can do everything through him who gives me strength.” ~ Philippians 4:13

#365220 - 06/23/11 05:18 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Corn meal, the first ingredient, is a whole grain that contains a fair amount of insoluble fiber. Some people can tolerate it while others cannot. It is some thing you will have to experiment with.

Here is what Heather says in one of her newsletters "Try whole grains such as brown rice, oatmeal, buckwheat or soba noodles (see the fabulous recipe above), corn meal or polenta, quinoa, and barley. These tend to be well-tolerated whole grains for IBS (not always, and not for everyone, but definitely in general). If you're really struggling with chronic attacks, you may have no choice but to limit or eliminate whole grains until you're stable, but once you are you should be able to carefully try adding these options back in."

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#365237 - 06/23/11 05:05 PM
KellyJean

Thank you both for responding! I'm still getting used to the soluble/insoluble thing...it works GREAT overall for those of us with Celiac Disease, but of course some food choices are out (cereals like Corn Pops and Honeycomb). SO glad the Chex cereals are now gluten free!!! I'll be careful about the Panda Puffs for now while I'm trying to dig out of a bad attack. Thanks again!

#365254 - 06/24/11 02:13 PM
KellyJean

I'm realizing that I'm still confused about this cereal. I am so new to Heather's diet that I really rely heavily on checking the "cheat sheet" for foods that are insoluble and those that are soluble. Syl, you said the corn meal could be an issue because it contains a fair amount of insol. fiber. It's listed in the "GO" section of the cheat sheet as being a sol. fiber. ??!! I know that corn is insol., but according to the sheet, corn meal, corn tortillas, and corn cereals should all be our safe foods.

It's because.... new
      #365255 - 06/24/11 02:39 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

corn meal and polenta are typically so finely ground that the insoluble fiber is not a problem. This is usually true for corn tortillas and corn cereals in particular.

Try them with caution, see how you do. In general, corn meal is a well tolerated whole grain - as are brown rice and oatmeal. But - if you're really struggling, be careful till you know how you tolerate them.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5110 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3168

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review