All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Too many carbs
      #36517 - 01/10/04 02:54 PM
mksb1309

Reged: 01/07/04

Does anyone else out there have any advice about eating too many carbs, how do I still stay on an IBS sensitive diet, without eating too many carbs?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Too many carbs new
      #36603 - 01/11/04 02:52 AM
Shellsbells

Reged: 12/16/03
Loc: NW England, UK

Why don't you want to eat too many carbs? What's wrong with carbs? Do you think that it's alright to eat unlimited amounts of protein? Do you class fruits and veg as dangerous carbs? Doesn't leave much else to eat does it. If you eat low carbs, how are you gonna get your body's requirements for vitamins, minerals, fibre???? You won't get any of those from protein.

Low carb diets are a myth. It's usually not the carbs themselves that are the problem, but the processed rubbish, fat and sugar that go with these carbs that you don't even think about.

Atkins himself admitted that his diet was nutritionally inadequate and you would need to take vitamin and mineral supplements whilst following it. While supplements can be helpful in certain circumstances, it's FAR better to get these naturally throught your diet.

It's also a myth that the hunter-gathers ate unlimited amounts of protein. If so, why were they called 'hunter-gatherers'?? They had to hunt and go in search of their protein (involved LOTS of exercise). And they migrated all over the world in search of it. Suggests such protein was in limited supply???? The rest of the time their diet was based on what they could find - nuts, seeds, fruit, veggies, roots, tubers, whole grains. When they did eat animal protein it's fat levels then were nothing compared to what they are now.

Nations that eat high amounts of carbs and relatively low levels of high fat animal proteins: Mexico, Japan, Brazil and Argentina - diets based on rice & beans etc - have the lowest levels of obesity and heart disease in the world.
Nations eating high amounts of saturated fat, animal protein and processed food: UK US Finland and Germany have the highest rates of obesity and heart disease in the world.

Speaks for itself, really.
Hope this is helpful to you.
Shellsbells

If it's weight you're worried about.... new
      #36606 - 01/11/04 05:53 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

Don't. I have lost 34 pounds eating this way.

Re: If it's weight you're worried about.... new
      #36609 - 01/11/04 06:05 AM
Shellsbells

Reged: 12/16/03
Loc: NW England, UK

Yep, I'm losing weight too! And sometimes I just can't face anything else to eat because I've felt so full up and satisfied all day long. This is a miracle for me!!

#36623 - 01/11/04 10:14 AM
JennieM

Reged: 01/11/04

A high carb diet is fine if you are just suffering from IBS. But, if like me and many others there are additional problems, then high carb is BAD. I found this board today to try and figure out how to tweak a low carb/high protein diet. It's just not working. Oh well

Re: If it's weight you're worried about.... new
      #36624 - 01/11/04 10:34 AM
mksb1309

Reged: 01/07/04

Really? Thanks for letting me know that! I am trying to make sure that I eat a proper diet - well, not a diet, but I have been eating a lot of bagels and I was just wondering.

#36626 - 01/11/04 10:49 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Quote:

It's also a myth that the hunter-gathers ate unlimited amounts of protein. If so, why were they called 'hunter-gatherers'?? They had to hunt and go in search of their protein (involved LOTS of exercise). And they migrated all over the world in search of it. Suggests such protein was in limited supply???? The rest of the time their diet was based on what they could find - nuts, seeds, fruit, veggies, roots, tubers, whole grains.

Sounds like you and I have some of the same books!!!

THE CAMBRIDGE WORLD HISTORY OF FOOD, Vol. 1 and 2.....

A MUST have!!!!

I might add that it wasn't until we started growing crops did we come to realize we could domesticate animals and eventually use them as a protein source. When agriculture began, it attracted large animals that came to feed on those crops. They stayed...we kept them, used them and ate them. Bingo, now we had a lazy man's easy source of protein to subsequently, in the long haul, make us all eating MORE meat than we should. You're right Shells, eating lowest on the food chain IS the healthiest................we are evolutionarily programmed to do so.

Lovin' being an Atkins "reject"....

Kandee

--------------------

#36627 - 01/11/04 10:52 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Why? Are you diabetic?

--------------------

Jennie, do a board search new
      #36662 - 01/11/04 01:25 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

on low carb with no date limits on past posts. There have been a TON of past posts about this topic, with many folks safely eating for IBS while keeping their carbs on the lower side. Look for posts about PCOS and diabetes, and check here for some info web page

You can keep your carb count lower by upping your soluble fiber supplement intake (which will have zero carbs) and avoiding all refined sugars. This doesn't mean you have to load up on protein/fats that are IBS triggers, like meat and dairy.

Don't give up - you can balance your diet for different health problems without having to accept being sick no matter what. It's highly unlikely that a diet for one health disorder you have will be completely unadaptable for another health disorder.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Thank you Heather! new
      #36717 - 01/11/04 08:47 PM
JennieM

Reged: 01/11/04

You are very good by the way to guess that I have PCOS. Or maybe it's just common? Life is extremely frustrating when one doctor says no or very little carbs (90) a day, and another says no/or very little protein. And both conditions have horrible results if I go either way. Bah, lets give some of this stuff to our doctors and see what they say!

Ok, rant over, I'm off to research.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 265 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1287

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review