All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: why aren't more people/board memebers cured if it works so well? new
      #364586 - 05/02/11 12:27 AM
kem

Reged: 06/09/10

This question was regarding the success of the hypno program. My opinion is that when folks are well, they no longer monitor this board, so they are no longer properly represented here. They are so relieved to be well that they go off to live their lives! Who would blame them?
kem (mom of daughter w/ibs-d dx)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Yep - for stress/anxiety specific to IBS, it's hard to beat new
      #364594 - 05/03/11 09:00 AM
CellSalts_Work

Reged: 08/15/10

I myself am dubious about this whole connection with stress and emotions (less so hormones perhaps) and how some days you can apparently eat something which doesn't mess with you and the next day if you're feeling low, you can't. there's/I know quite a few emotionally unstable/neurotic/stressed people out there who have no/never ever had any digestive problems whatsoever.

long before my IBS started I'd gone through much greater emotional upheavals/ emotions/ stress and it didn't lead to any digestive problems..

The way I see it is that for whatever reason digestive stimulants like fat, alcohol, caffeine, IF cause all that trouble we have to live with. hypnosis should be addressing this i guess, making your body perceive these stimulants as normal people do, ie don't respond in the way we do. don't trigger D or C or pain or bloating or spasms. this has nothing to do with stress?

and no-one knows why hypnosis works, but it has worked for a huge percentage of sufferers.

as for calming someone down/ relaxing you/making you less neurotic etc and helping your IBS through that.., I personally have looked into it and discovered what vitamins I may be lacking, and am now taking supplements of iron, zinc, calcium, vit D and a vit B complex. google what vitamins are responsible for what in life. as I recently said, also started looking at the glycemic load of foods. my stress levels/ depression/ OCD/ the extent to which I was neurotic (and by nature I'm as neurotic and emotional as they come!) have virtually disappeared. also, quality and enough sleep is extremely important. these remedied my 'stress', fairly rapidly too, so there is no need for hypnosis for me for this and maybe others would find the same.

only my experience...

PS hypnosis won't help with FODMAPs – as that is an organic malabsorption problem. case in point, I am severely lactose intolerant, ie won't be able to have dairy even after hypnosis. there are people out there who have FODMAP problems, ie can't have fructose/lactose/fructans etc but have no problems with fat or alcohol or caffeine. so hypnosis won't cure this but it doesn't mean that it can't get rid of your IBS (ie which in my vocab is the digestive woes we suffer which is 'not an organic problem per se but rather GI stimulants which effect the nervous control system'. (my lactose intolerance has nothing to do with IBS, ie can't be eliminated through hypnosis, in other words..))

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,
(pseudo-)D and bloating April 2007-December 2010, now stable

Re: Yep - for stress/anxiety specific to IBS, it's hard to beat new
      #364597 - 05/03/11 10:49 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

You might find this University of North Caroline article Effects of Hypnosis on GI Problems of interest.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Yep - that's a huge factor... new
      #364598 - 05/03/11 12:59 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

the boards by their nature tend to catch people who are new and have lots of questions, or people who have really serious problems and have a harder time getting stable.

The "basic" IBS folks come, get info, get help, feel better, and leave. They don't have much presence on the boards because, as you say, once they're feeling better they don't need to hang around.

It does kind of skew the boards because the typical is underrepresented and the atypical is more dominant.

XXOO
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: They say there's no cure for IBS, but... new
      #364605 - 05/03/11 02:11 PM
mavera

Reged: 12/28/10
Loc: The Netherlands

I've read that post infectious IBS cán recover completely in up to 50% of cases. My hypnotherapist/former GI also confirmed this statement.

The good news is that patients whose IBS is post-infectious have a more optimistic prognosis than those for whom the origin of the IBS is unknown, as it is estimated that approximately half of all IBS-PI patients will return to a state of healthy digestive functioning. The bad news is that it may take years. Recovery is less likely to happen if there is co-existing anxiety or depression, thus treatment of these emotional symptoms becomes an important health priority
http://ibs.about.com/od/symptomsofib1/a/IBS-PI.htm

Actually, this is my most important 'positive thought', when I get frustrated with symptoms or the diet etc.

--------------------
PI-IBS-C/A nausea & very bad gastric pain
meds: lansoprazol+macrogol
started EFI +FODMAPs 1/2011. 'Relapse' for 8 months. Now partly back on track again with the diet..

Yes - good point - new
      #364606 - 05/03/11 02:26 PM
HeatherAdministrator

there is also at least one hypno study that's tracked people for 5 years, and for many symptoms did not return. That was a while ago, and I've been hoping they're still tracking those folks so we can get a 10 year update.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Actually, it's been ten years, no wait, 11 years for me... new
      #364608 - 05/03/11 03:04 PM
Marilyn

Reged: 05/02/03

Only reason I am here is to help others just as I was helped back in 2000 -

Again, as mentioned, not everyone is helped and yes, as cell mentions, if you have other stuff going on - OCD, chemical imbalances, lactose intolerances, other medical and/or emotional conditions besides IBS, etc. this would not be your way forward.

However, if you address these conditions via other means (diet, meds, etc.) and you still have symptoms that linger, this can be the brain-gut connection, which keeps the symptoms with you, and that aspect 'might' be addressed - not everyone - but some folks have used the program as the final thing that helped tie up those loose ends. I am thinking of one lady who cannot eat dairy, she avoided the dairy but still had problems. Once she completed the program, she was fine - still does not do the dairy, of course, which is not IBS - that is lactose intolerance. So yes, point well taken.

Again, not for everyone, but helpful for most or at least many!

--------------------
My Journey and Success with the IBS Audio Program Hypnotherapy Program: www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=hypnotherapy&Number=224850

Thanks Marilyn! - nt- new
      #364611 - 05/03/11 05:04 PM
HeatherAdministrator

--------------------

Re: Actually, it's been ten years, no wait, 11 years for me... new
      #364612 - 05/04/11 03:05 AM
Susie1985

Reged: 05/04/11

Heather advises that those with IBS should avoid dairy even if they are not lactose intolerant. I imagine that those who aren't (ie it's not an organic problem) may well be helped through hypnosis, cos for them dairy may just be a digestive stimulant that wreaks havoc, similarly to alcohol, caffeine, too much fat etc.

As the article Syl posted explains, there's a lot of unknowns regarding why hypnosis works, fact is that it does. He has also pointed out that it's not a cure as such as IBS have returned to a lot of people afterwards, years on. But that made me think that surely you can just do the course again. I can't see it doing any harm.

Well, anyhow I can't wait for the CD to arrive, am really hopeful!

--------------------
now: stable through EFI+FODMAP dieting (no lactose/no fructose/some fructans and some polyols)

before: IBS-D(pseudo-diarrhoea), bloating, often unbearable pain esp from too much fat: Apr 2007- Dec 2010

FODMAPs: http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/072710p30.shtml

[I've tried VSL#3 -> I could tolerate v good amounts of IF (even with less SF), it worked great (but overall I find it too expensive)]

Susie1985 new
      #364615 - 05/04/11 03:34 AM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

As you state it really does not matter why or how it works, but that it does. I did the program 3 times and I am here to tell you how wonderful I feel. It is my cure.

Marilyn is a wealth of information on hypnosis. She works closely with Mike Mahoney, so if you have any questions, make sure to touch base with her. She is the expert on this. Also, there is tons of info on the hypnosis board, which she moderates.

Doing the course again and again is NOT going to hurt you. I did not feel totally well until after the 3rd go-round. Sometimes you have to give something a little time, before you give up on it.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1023 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11958

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review