Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Diet makes C worse?
      #362910 - 01/14/11 11:19 AM
mavera

Reged: 12/28/10
Loc: The Netherlands

I've been on the diet for 1,5 week now.
At first I ate a lot of white bread and other wheat products. I could use less laxatives, but my symptoms didn't improve (even seemed a little worse than 'usual').

So I was told here that it might be the wheat and fructose.. I decited to try cutting these out too.
I'm eating mostly oat with ricemilk and a bit banana for a few days now. In the evenings potatoe with egg-white or white fish, carrot and tonight I had spinach. And some cornbased/ricemilk dessert w/o sugar.
Now I must take more laxatives again! Further symptoms seem a little less than last week, but they normally also fluctuate. It could also be caused by a good regulation of BM and laxatives..

What to do? Try something else than oatmeal?

About the FODMAP diet, I read different recommendations about what (not) to eat??

--------------------
PI-IBS-C/A nausea & very bad gastric pain
meds: lansoprazol+macrogol
started EFI +FODMAPs 1/2011. 'Relapse' for 8 months. Now partly back on track again with the diet..

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Diet makes C worse? new
      #362912 - 01/14/11 11:31 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

The links in my signature are to FODMAP articles by a knowledgeable dietitian and the physician & dietitian that did the original research on FODMAPs. I have seen many sites on the Internet that have questionable information. You have to make sure that individual who posts information on the Internet actually knows what they are talking about.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#362913 - 01/14/11 11:33 AM
Thai

Reged: 10/04/09

I'm sorry...I don't understand.

If you could use less laxatives is that not an improvement in symptoms (constipation being the symptom)??

--------------------
IBS-D

#362915 - 01/14/11 12:17 PM
mavera

Yes, using less laxatives was an improvement.

But my symptoms depend partly on my BMs. When my BM are a bit (too) loose, I have different symptoms (sick feelings/pulsations) than when I have C (very quickly full/nausea after meal/abdominal pain). But it's not that clear all the time..
Besides that I have gastric pain, usually when hungry. I take a very high dose prevacid, but still pain every day.

The intensity of symptoms was worse when I could cut down the laxatives last week(?)

I always need to find a balance in laxatives/symptoms, but it seems that when my nausea/bowel-symptoms reduce, my gastric pain gets worse..?? Not all the time though..

I would like to find some sort of balance where I can take less medications AND feel better!!

--------------------
started EFI +FODMAPs 1/2011. 'Relapse' for 8 months. Now partly back on track again with the diet..

If you've been using laxatives for a while new
      #362916 - 01/14/11 12:26 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

you may have to gradually transition off of them. And you may need a soluble fiber supplement as well as soluble fiber foods to really manage your symptoms.

Check the 5 Constipation Frustrations starting here http://www.helpforibs.com/news/newsletter/060705.html#askheather for lots of help.

Best,
H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#362918 - 01/14/11 12:37 PM
mavera

Thanx! I found the FODMAPs checklist.

But still, I was searching for a more 'complete' list.. There are not so many veggies that are safe in both EFI & FODMAP (avocado, mushroom, beets?)

--------------------

Re: If you've been using laxatives for a while new
      #362919 - 01/14/11 01:01 PM
mavera

Thanx for your reply.

I use stool softeners. They should't be depending(?) I dont need more of them over time.

I did read that letter. I just ordered Benfiber supplements. But the last few days I'm getting more C, while eating a huge lot of SF, I'm afraid that even more fibres will only worsen it??

I did try metamucil once, but I guess I took too much, because it worsened my symptoms. I understand now you should gradually increase.

But now I'm eating lots of SF and get worse C, should I take even more fibres through supplements??
Shouldn't I also gradually increase the SF in my diet than??

I already lost 4 pounds in 1,5wk, I think I also need to add a little bit more fat.. ?? But don't want that to aggravate symptoms.

I'm confused

--------------------

#362922 - 01/14/11 02:25 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

A complete list does not exist yet. In fact, the information of the concentration FODMAPs in a variety of foods is rather scarce as the measurements have not been made. The Australian group that developed the FODMAP approach had to get a lab to measure the content of the FODMAPs in common Australian fruits and veggies for use by the dietitian. I expect it will be a while before we see a comprehensive list.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1770 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3539

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review