All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Why does IBS-D all of a sudden become IBS-C?
      #36249 - 01/09/04 11:13 AM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

I've noticed that my D has become more of a C problem now. Which I don't really mind because I don't have those sudden trips to the restroom when I am shopping or at work, etc. But, the downside is the painful BMs and lower back pain. What is the best way to deal with that? I know...I haven't been taking my fiber like I should and I have been eating some of the wrong things. I've been a bad girl But I'd much rather have this than the terrible D I was having. I don't know why I am now becoming an IBS-C.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Why does IBS-D all of a sudden become IBS-C? new
      #36259 - 01/09/04 11:19 AM
Shellsbells

Reged: 12/16/03
Loc: NW England, UK

After being C most of my life, I've ended up being IBS C&D. Soluble fibre is wonderful for stopping the D, but if you don't get enough insoluble fibre and fat, you will get C. A total pain isn't it.

#36263 - 01/09/04 11:24 AM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

One factor, are neurotransmitters that control and effect gut function.

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

#36265 - 01/09/04 11:27 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - IBS is a motility problem, which means your gut can have too much or too little motility...or it can swing between those extremes.

Best bet is prevention - keep your gut stable as much as possible. You know the (boring) drill here - watch your diet, keep your soluble fiber supplement intake as high as you can every day, lots of water, exercise, helpful herbal teas, stress management, yoga/meditation, the gut-directed hypnotherapy. All of these things will keep your gut muscle contractions as stable as possible, and that's what will prevent the ugly symptoms. Trying to get yourself back to normal once you've really swung to either extreme is more difficult than keeping on an even keel in the first place.

There's all the technical info about motility and the brain-gut dysfunction underlying IBS here Brain Gut Dysfunction and Motility

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2390 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 533

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review