All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Fiber and Probiotic
      #362451 - 12/11/10 08:58 AM
di8286

Reged: 05/27/10

Been taking Heather's Acacia Senegal fiber and tried to talk to my gasterontologist about it as I had some really bad days last month with my IBS and had to go in for more testing, etc. He did not want to even hear about this fiber and told me to go on Benefiber. So, I've been doing both and don't feel the Benefiber is doing anything. Just read more up on the Acacia and I think if I increase the dosage and drink more water that will be all I will need. About to place another order of Acacia and don't want to continue buying Benefiber and waste my money. Any thoughts, Heather?

Also, I was reading previous posts on probiotics that Syl was posting and didn't realize that my probiotic I have been taking has FOS. So, I checked out Align, and VSL #3 that Syl mentioned. There were alot of good reviews on VSL #3. Stated that it does wonders for IBS, diverticulosis, ulcerative colitis, etc. I have been diagnosed with both diverticulosis and IBS, in addition to reflux, gastritis, esophagitis. So, I'm wondering if the VSL #3 would benefit me. I had previously posted that some vitamins, calcium and things of that nature make me sick to my stomach when I take them. I want to take some vitamin supplements due to all the diet restrictions I am on. I need calcium as I have osteopororis and can't take the medicine that they put you on for it as it bothers people with digestive problems. I am also sensitive to soy. I am following the IBS diet to a "T" - off of all dairy, red meat, eggs and caffeine. I just need to hone in on tweeking the rest of this as I am still not stabile yet. Any assistance please? Thank you.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Fiber and Probiotic new
      #362473 - 12/13/10 02:51 AM
mradams1

Reged: 07/12/10

Hi,

What dose (in grams) of fibre supplement are you taking? I tried VSL#3 for a month and noticed no improvement. However, it is one of these things that work for some people and not for others, you'll most likely just have to try and see. If you're following the EFI then vitamins are not necessary. You can get all the vitamins you need on this diet, despite the restrictions. How long have you been following the diet? You mention Syl in your posting, if you follow the link in her signature, it'll take you to information on the FODMAP diet. This may be of interest to you.

Best Wishes

--------------------
IBS A. Managing my symptoms with the EFI/FODMAP diet and probiotics.

#362480 - 12/13/10 01:57 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - I don't know why your GI doc would push Benefiber - go ahead and ask him. Sometimes it's just that docs stick with what they are familiar with, though usually that means they push psyllium.

You can mix and match soluble fibers, just make sure you watch your total dose, always starting with a low dose and increasing gradually. You typically want to work up to a dose of around 12-15 grams a day, though constipation can take more than that (up to 30 grams a day). Slow and steady increases are key, and when you feel stable (no diarrhea or constipation) that's the dose for you.

I've heard good things about VSL #3, but with probiotics there seems to be a lot of individual variations. I'd give one brand a try for a few months, and if you're not happy give another brand a try instead.

I've seen good feedback for VSL, Digestive Advantage, Align, and Jarro brand. But there are also always some people who don't find them helpful. There's no downside to trying them so give each one a shot for at least a month and see what you prefer.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#362482 - 12/13/10 06:04 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Quote:

Hi - I don't know why your GI doc would push Benefiber - go ahead and ask him. Sometimes it's just that docs stick with what they are familiar with, though usually that means they push psyllium.

The same reason why dentists recommend Oral B; they are familiar with it, know other doctors like it, don't look into anything else and probably receive free stuff from the name brand.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#362487 - 12/13/10 07:58 PM
di8286

Thanks Heather. I decided not to use the Benefiber anymore and I'm using your Acacia and increasing it little by little. I tend to experience more of the constipation with my IBS. I just bought the VSL #3 from Costco tonight and going to begin tomorrow. Read alot of good reviews on it. As far as my gastro doctor. Like I said before, I had great doctors back East where I come from. Have not been able to find good doctors here in California. My husband and I are hoping to relocate back to the East coast as we now have a granddaughter and grandson. Miss them so much. I also stopped the peppermint tea due to the reflux. I read more of your materials and I'm just doing the peppermint capsule in the a.m. on an empty stomach following your directions closely and drinking the fennel tea instead. Just changed this regiment two days ago and so far, it is working.

#362488 - 12/13/10 08:04 PM
di8286

I have checked out the FODMAPS and my doctor got me in touch with a dietician. We will be working together after the New Year. She just e-mailed me today to obtain additional information about my IBS, etc. I don't know if you have ready any other postings that I have posted. I have alot of diet restrictions and issues: diverticulosis, IBS, acid reflux, gastritis, esophagitis, hiatal hernia, osteoporosis, sensitivity to soy and cannot tolerate psyllum. So, there is alot I cannot eat. I'm hoping this dietician can help me. I requested this from my doctor as when I read up on the FODMAPs, it stated one should work closely with a physician or dietician in doing this.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2650 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2913

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review