All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
self-hypnosis for IBS - other techniques
      #361745 - 10/29/10 06:52 AM
CellSalts_Work

Reged: 08/15/10

1. even approved by the NHS. imagine a river flowing through your digestive tract. if you have C, imagine the river speeding up. if you have D, imagine the river slowing down.

2. imagine soothing music being played in your intestines

3. don't be angry or annoyed with your digestion. instead nurture your bowels like a child, show some kind of understanding towards them. (bit too far fetched for my rational mind)

4. breathe out through your bowels

5. imagine a protective layer within your digestive tract that makes for smooth bowel movements

Apparently there are dozens more, but my course leader mentioned these examples when I asked her.

Depending on the individual you may also find useful 'commands' like : 'move' 'calm' or even scientific ones like 'my brain sends the right message and it is taken up correctly by the receptors in digestive tract'. I know I have. It's worthwhile to experiment and as I said do it regularly, otherwise it doesn't really work.

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,
(pseudo-)D and bloating April 2007-December 2010, now stable

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: self-hypnosis for IBS - other techniques new
      #361747 - 10/29/10 07:26 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Thank you for posting this information. I didn't realize the NHS approved the use of self-hypnosis for IBS. It could be partly due to Prof Whorwell's work. He is a GI research doc in the UK who first developed gut-directed hypnosis for IBS in 1980s. Would you please email a copy of the pdf.

Cheers

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: self-hypnosis for IBS - other techniques new
      #361753 - 10/29/10 02:33 PM
Marilyn

Reged: 05/02/03

THE UK's NICE Guidelines for IBS launched in Feb 2008 suggests hypnotherapy as one of the treatment protocols if after 12 months of "orthodox' treatment has been ineffective. Again, as a 'last resort.' I find it interesting that something that seems to work effectively after all else has failed, is used last. Common sense would say to try it first or at least with the others!

Dr Whorwell first published his findings in the Lancet in 1984; I believe the river imagery is his. A similar protocol is being used by the UNC in conjunction with his work.

Thank you for sharing the self-help tips! These are great.

For those of us who need extra guidance and a complete IBS hypnotherapy protocol as well as support, the IBS Audio Program can provide it. While all hypnotherapy/hypnosis is actually self hypnosis, having guidance for the sessions takes away the act of "thinking" about what imagery you will use and provides it for you.

These guidelines are very helpful though - thanks for sharing!

--------------------
My Journey and Success with the IBS Audio Program Hypnotherapy Program: www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=hypnotherapy&Number=224850

I too love that what works when nothing else does is recommended last instead of first! How crazy. -nt- new
      #361756 - 10/29/10 04:06 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: I too love that what works when nothing else does is recommended last instead of first! How crazy. -nt- new
      #361765 - 10/30/10 05:39 AM
CellSalts_Work

I just don't understand why hypnosis has a bad rap or why indeed it's not more widespread as basically there is no side effects, it's not proper medicine and you can improve so many things about your life through it, if you keep at it.

There really is just one thing you have to be careful about and that is taking away pain. Pain is very often there for a reason (obviously not in the case of IBS) but the mind boggles as to why a non-chemical remedy would not be recommended as the first course of action!

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,

Re: I too love that what works when nothing else does is recommended last instead of first! How crazy. -nt- new
      #361768 - 10/30/10 09:41 AM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

All I needed was the hypno. Nothing else seemed to work. I use it alone...period. It is all that has worked for me. Supplements, fiber, meds, diet...none worked. But hypno does, and for some that is all that is needed.

Something interesting new
      #361770 - 10/30/10 10:17 AM
Syl

Interestingly the father of gut directed hypnotherapy, Prof Whorwell, recommends that it be intergrated with other approaches and not used stand alone. One of the reasons he gives is that hypnotherapy has finite success (about 70%) and those that don't respond can get quite despondent as they usually see it as there last chance for improvement in quality of life. Another reason is the majority of IBS suffers have mild symptoms which are usually managed throught dietary and life style changes. In one of his recent articles Whorwell says it would be inappropriate to use hypnotherapy before trying an exclusion of insoluble fibre.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

Re: Something interesting new
      #361771 - 10/30/10 11:58 AM
CellSalts_Work

Agreed, but surely with someone who is susceptible to hypnosis maybe even IF may be tolerated in time and they can basically eat like a normal person then on.

To be honest the EFI diet is not detrimental at all, what I meant and I'd personally be against is prescribed medication.

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,

#361772 - 10/30/10 12:23 PM
Syl

You might be right. However, Whorwell was also the GI doc who originally figured out IF was determental to IBS. He has loads of experience in his GI practice with dietary management techniques and hypnosis so I value his opinion

--------------------

#361773 - 10/30/10 12:32 PM
CellSalts_Work

So do I, but since one is actually actively encouraged to vary the hypnotic techniques too (so that they are not boring), one of these days I shall proceed to hypnotising myself 'broccoli does my bowels the world of good. just as it used to'

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2316 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11695

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review