All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
rice cereals
      #3614 - 03/21/03 09:54 AM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

Heather; I don't think rice chex fills me up enough. Could you please let me know what posts would have other breakfast suggestions in them(cold cereals) or repost them,thanks.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: rice cereals new
      #3622 - 03/21/03 10:49 AM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Louise - did you try putting a sliced banana on your cereal and maybe having a slice of toast with jelly or fruit butter on it? Rice Krispies and virtually any other dry cereal made fromm rice. Just read the ingredients on the boxes. Of course, the store clerks might wonder why you've been standing in the cereal aisle so long!

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

#3627 - 03/21/03 10:55 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Well, cream of rice is a hot cereal, but you can make it in just a minute in the microwave. Make it with soy milk and it's extra creamy.

I like Sharon's idea of adding sliced banana to the cereal. That will be more filling. And after the cereal, you might have a piece of toast with just a smidgen of peanut butter - the fat will fill you up.

You could also try corn chex, Crispix, Honeycomb, or corn flakes and see if they're more filling. And maybe you're just not eating enough of the cereal?

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#3647 - 03/21/03 12:50 PM
louise

I JUST HAD A WHOLE BOWL OF CRISPEX THIS NORNING AND IT WENT RIGHT THROUGH ME. I HAD IT WITH SOY MILK AS WELL. i will try other ideas when my system has recovered enough. :

#3648 - 03/21/03 01:01 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Hi - Are you taking a soluble fiber supplement first thing in the morning (as soon as you get up, before you eat anything?) This can help - so can taking the supplement last thing at night about an hour before you go to bed.

Hope you're feeling better soon.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#3695 - 03/21/03 04:26 PM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

I love rice cereals (especially rice crispies) but corn flakes are my absolute favorite. i cn eat cornflakes by the bowlfulls! i CAN usually handle a small bowl of hone nut cheerios..... on my good days

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#3713 - 03/21/03 07:01 PM
louise

I TAKE METAMUCIL(SUGAR-FREE) ABOUT HALF AN LOUR BEFORE MEALTIME. Iwill try it at night to see what happens.

#3714 - 03/21/03 07:08 PM
louise

HI Sharon; I sometimes have a banana with soy milk as part of my breakfast anyway, I am unsure about rice krispies, it might be too light for me, even though I take my supplements. Ido enjoy half a bagel after a bowl of rice poerridge. The bagel tops the cereal off nicely. In the warmer whether I will want something cooler.

#3715 - 03/21/03 07:10 PM
louise

do you find those cereals filling enough for you?

#3717 - 03/21/03 07:32 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Try the sugar sweetened kind. The artificial sweeteners can cause GI side effects.

See if your health food store has something called Fiberrific - it's a supplement that isn't psyllium.

- Heather

--------------------

#3722 - 03/21/03 07:52 PM
SharonMello

Louise - Can you tolerate Egg Beaters? If so, they make great scrambled eggs...you could melt some soy cheese on the top and maybe have some turkey bacon with a toasted bagel and pumpkin butter on it. That should fill you up. And, drink lots of liquids...they'll help fill 'er up. Also fried motza is a good filler too and lots of soluble fiber. Let me know if you don't know what it is.

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

#3723 - 03/21/03 07:53 PM
SharonMello

Louise - Have you tried eating something every couple hours instead of waiting 4 hours to eat your next meal?
Just a thought.
Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

#3769 - 03/22/03 08:37 PM
louise

hi Sharin; I just started eating between meals(especialy bagels and french bread) to make sure I have enough to eat. That does help somewhat.

#3771 - 03/22/03 08:44 PM
louise

HI Heather: Today I CHECKED THREE HEALTH FOOD STORES AND NONE OF THEM HAD FIBERIFFIC. Maybe it is just available in the stated, Did you say before that you found a place that deliversn outside of the UNITED States, and what is happening with that?

#3772 - 03/22/03 08:49 PM
louise

HI SHARON; the last time I tried eggbeaters they didn't agree with me, of course, that was before I started taking supplements. I will try them again soon. I CAN'T seem to find soy cheese anywhere in the grocery stores. Any idea which ones would carry them? I don't know what the motza thing isd, is it something jewish?

#3803 - 03/23/03 07:41 AM
SharonMello

Yes, Louise, it's Jewish. I guess I think everybody's a little Jewish!! Anyway, the grocery stores have it in the Jewish (of course) section. It's unleavened bread--kinda like cardboard. It looks like gigantic soda crackers--about 8"x8" and has perforations in it. If you buy the plain (not egg), you get a big bowl, break it up into about 2" sq pcs and pour boiling hot water over it. Let it soak up some water and get soft then drain it. Then add the egg beaters (or egg whites, if you can't tolerate the egg beaters) and mix it up really well. When most of the egg has been absorbed, put it in a large nonstick fry pan with cooking spray and keep frying until they are fairly dry. Then serve. I put sugar and cinnamon (the Polish way) on mine and my husband (he's not Jewish) puts syrup on them. It's got the soluble fiber you need right in the motza. We'll make a Jewish Princess out of you yet!!!

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

#3804 - 03/23/03 07:46 AM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

i eat plenty of snacks, and i dont only have one bowel of cereal for breakfast. i have 2 bowls of cereal, toast,pepp tea, a fruit snack, some crackers, and a piece of pop tart. so, yeah that fills me up.

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#3806 - 03/23/03 07:53 AM
SharonMello

Louise - I just did a search and couldn't come up w/anything. I did an internet search on Fiberiffic and found it's also a type of blown-in insulation!!! Not good for ibsers!!!

If you would post to the attention of HanSolo, jst4kdz, Lana Marie (they all live in Canada), they might be able to help you.

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

LOUISE - I found it--FIBERIFIC... new
      #3807 - 03/23/03 07:55 AM
SharonMello

Louise - I spelled Fiberific wrong. One F and the search on the internet (use Google.com) and I got a ton of stuff. Didn't search thru for Canada but it should say something like tht on the website.

Good Luck.

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

Medichest.com - They'll ship soluble fiber supplements to Canada! new
      #3824 - 03/23/03 11:33 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Hi Louise - Mags found this site earlier and posted. Medichest.com will ship soluble fiber supplements outside the US.

And, get this - they carry Citrucel, Equalactin, Benefiber, Fibercon, and Fiberchoice! All fabulous supplements, powders and pills both, and they carry flavored/unflavored varieties of Citrucel.

To top it off, their prices look really reasonable.

- Heather

--------------------

Re: soy cheese new
      #3825 - 03/23/03 11:35 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Check the produce department of grocery stores (ask where they carry refrigerated tofu) - for some weird reason they never seem to carry soy cheese in the dairy case. Health food stores will have a better selection than groceries.

Okanagan brand is in Canada and is well-liked by folks on the board.

- H

--------------------

#3850 - 03/23/03 03:28 PM
jst4kdz

Reged: 03/10/03
Loc: Burlington, Ontario Canada

Louise- I use the Smooth Orange Metamucil. I take 1 TBSP. before bed and that seems to help. During the day I snack on corn pops, Honeycomb, arrowroots, etc.... all which keep me full until lunch or dinner. I had a friend in N.Y. FedX me some Fibercon and Citricel. I have not tried either of them yet as I just started the fibre supplements a month ago. Hope this helps.

Re: Medichest.com - They'll ship soluble fiber supplements to Canada! new
      #3887 - 03/23/03 07:14 PM
louise

HI Heather; How do I get hold of them and do they have Fiberific as wee or will the other fiber products do just as well?

Re: Medichest.com - They'll ship soluble fiber supplements to Canada! new
      #3946 - 03/24/03 12:42 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Hi - Just go to their website - Direct Link - Click Here

You can order from their website and I think they have a phone number too.

- Heather

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5057 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3197

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review