All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
White rice
      #361362 - 10/11/10 05:57 AM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

Can white rice actually aggravate IBS? I stopped eating white rice for a week becase I didn't have any and I felt much better. Yesterday I had some and today I feel sick becasue I feel like I need to go to the bathroom and cant completely go. COuld it be because I ate the white rice without anything else and maybe its too low in fiber?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: White rice new
      #361363 - 10/11/10 06:18 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

White rice is one of food least likely to cause any GI irritation. It is one of the first solid foods recommend for babies because it is so easy to digest. What else did you eat yesterday and the day before?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#361364 - 10/11/10 07:15 AM
Allisonmary

Safe white bread with peanut butter, banana, pastina, thomas mini bagels with smart balance light, the white rice, almond milk, a little sweet potato and rice, small amoutn of grilled chicken. I drank a little no HFCS 100%cranberry juice and pure coconut water and safe hot cocoa. The day before was similar except I did eat a half of an applesauce which I dont usually do becasue of the fructose but I cant imagine all this trouble is from the applesauce. Ive been eating all these things the last week and felt fine. The only addition really was the white rice.

#361365 - 10/11/10 07:34 AM
Syl

Since you know you have problems with fructose then it might be best to remove the applesauce and see how it goes. Don't underestimate the effect small amounts of excess fructose can have on individuals that have problems with it. I use to think I could handle small amounts with no difficulty - unfortunately over the years I have learned otherwise

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#361368 - 10/11/10 08:57 AM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I find white rice quite constipating. If I ate it along with the rest of what you ate that day I'd be totally blocked up. Are you a C or a D? If you are a C I'd think you should add some more SF.

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

#361370 - 10/11/10 09:34 AM
Syl

White rice is about 0.5 gram SF and 0.5 gram IF per 1/2 cup when you take into account the resistant starch that is formed when cooked.

--------------------

#361371 - 10/11/10 11:42 AM
ewolfie7

Reged: 09/23/10

I have to agree with the constipation factor here. I have the incomplete bowel emptying most when I don't have adequate soluble fiber. I'd be surprised if it was just one serving of applesauce that set you off. How about trading some white rice for some fiber?

#361375 - 10/11/10 05:28 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

It should just help. There's an interesting study in the research library here on rice and constipation.

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#361376 - 10/11/10 05:41 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

In the past, if I ate too much white rice and maybe just cooked carrots with it and no IF, plus ate a lot and too fast, it would make me feel bloated and yucky. I find white rice a wonderful buffer for IF. Can you handle any IF? Mixed in with the rice it works great.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#361381 - 10/12/10 10:13 AM
Allisonmary

Thanks everyone, Im wondering if maybe I have diverticulitis also. Is white rice be aggravating for that?

#361382 - 10/12/10 10:29 AM
Syl

Eating high fiber foods is the generally the main recommendation for handling diverticulitis. White rice should be fine - it contains SF and IF in roughly equal amounts.

--------------------

#361395 - 10/12/10 04:41 PM
Syl

Here is a recent study of Japanese women that confirms the findings of the study in the library.

Dietary patterns associated with functional constipation among Japanese women aged 18 to 20 years: a cross-sectional study.

--------------------

#361409 - 10/13/10 01:19 PM
CellSalts_Work

Reged: 08/15/10

I certainly read about this before, rice is not supposed to constipate at all, although a lot of healthy friends of mine have reported that it is bloating for them?!

Incidentally, I don't understand why bread would be more constipating though...?

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,
(pseudo-)D and bloating April 2007-December 2010, now stable

#361416 - 10/13/10 02:13 PM
Syl

I have not seen an explanation for it either.

--------------------

Thanks! I'll add that ref to the research library. -nt- new
      #361418 - 10/13/10 02:50 PM
HeatherAdministrator

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#361421 - 10/13/10 04:56 PM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re: your friends' bloating, rice is apparently the one grain that causes no gas at all. Is it possible they are referring to water retention - since carbs do retain more water in your system. So if you eat a dinner involving a lot of rice, you may feel more bloated with water the next day than if you ate a more protein-heavy meal. Especially if the rice is combined with salt i.e sushi with soy sauce.

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

No - it would only help that. -nt- new
      #361424 - 10/13/10 05:18 PM
HeatherAdministrator

--------------------

#361429 - 10/13/10 11:58 PM
CellSalts_Work

Reged: 08/15/10

Hmmmm... the bloating effect was certainly only reported by a couple of individuals, no scientific proof provided in other words. Dunno...

Also, I am guessing that white rice would be the safest as brown rice is still more IF and that may cause problems, but not for someone who was healthy..

as for bread and constipation. the mind boggles even more.

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,
(pseudo-)D and bloating April 2007-December 2010, now stable

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2244 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6768

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review