All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Candida & IBS
      #3613 - 03/21/03 09:49 AM
SallyC

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: New Jersey

I've heard & read from may sources that there is a correlation between elevated levels of candida and IBS, chemical sensitivity, chronic fatigue, etc., etc. To lower the candida levels, one is to quit eating white breads, pasta, etc., etc. However, with the IBS diet, it is encouraged that we stick to the soluable fiber, including white breads such as French & sourdough. (I make my own 2-tbsp canola oil/loaf French bread.) As I've been following the IBS diet the last several months due to gastric problems including gastritis, my triglycerides and cholesterol counts have skyrocketed.

My brother has had great success with the Adkins diet with weight loss and low cholesterol & triglyceride levels. I am a vegetarian and refuse to go that route, nor do I believe that this is the healthiest diet to use.

With my chemical sensitivites, my selection of foods has greatly been reduced. However, I still focus on eating a balanced, healthy diet.

Needless to say, I'm frustrated. The bottom line, how are others doing with their cholesterol & triglyceride levels when following the IBS diet?

Thanks.

Sally

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Candida & IBS new
      #3636 - 03/21/03 11:14 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Sally - There have been other posts about the Atkins diet - here's a link web page with really good information. You're right to be concerned about switching from a vegetarian diet to something like Atkins. It is definitely not a healthy way to go.

I'm really puzzled as to why your cholesterol levels have risen. Soluble fiber is famed for its ability to lower LDL ("bad") cholesterol levels - that's why the FDA permits the little "heart healthy" symbol on high soluble fiber foods like oatmeal. There was actually a very recent study that looked at a high soluble fiber, soy and vegetarian diet that had astonishing success rates for helping high cholesterol levels - that info is at web page

For the triglycerides, I'd makes sure that you haven't really increased your refined sugar consumption. That can affect triglyceride levels. Sugar doesn't tend to be an IBS trigger at all, but it's also not a health food so you can certainly limit or eliminate it altogether. Artificial sweeteners can be problematic, too. And alcohol can really raise triglycerides as well, so avoid that.

For your fats, even though the IBS diet is low fat, you need to include healthy fats, and for triglyceride concerns you need to have plenty of omega 3 fatty acids. These are easiest to get from fish, but if you're vegetarian make sure you use flax oil and finely ground flax seeds instead (use both with soluble fiber foods like oatmeal, rice, etc.).

For the candida question, there's detailed info at an earlier post web page

I think some other posters have had problems with gastritis and peppermint tea. If you're drinking that you may want to switch to fennel, ginger, or chamomile.

Have you eliminated dairy for soy? Are there any other dietary specifics you can give me so I can brainstorm about this?

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Candida & IBS - Question about Fish Oil Capsules??? new
      #3699 - 03/21/03 04:37 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Heather/Sally - I take Fish Oil Concentrate with Omega-3 fatty acids softgels 1000 mg 1x/day. Would this suffice if you can't/won't eat fish??? Long's drugs carries them under the Long's Brand. Ingredients are Fish Oil Concentrate, Gelatin, Glycerin, d-alpha tocopherol. The label says no preservatives add, no lactose, no artificial color or flavor, no gluten. Directions are to take one capsule 3x/day after each meal.

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

Edited by SharonMello (03/21/03 04:38 PM)

#3702 - 03/21/03 04:42 PM
SallyC

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: New Jersey

Heather,

Thank you for your reply along with the valuable information.

Oatmeal. I love it but it doesn't love me. It causes immediate bloat and diarrhea within 30 minutes of eating it.

Metamucil does the same thing after drinking it. I have tried Fiber Clear but stopped when the diarrhea started. Maybe it's time to give it another shot.

I have quit using dairy products for over a year now.

I've cut back on the calories as well as sugar consumption and have resumed my daily lunch time walking program. I have lost 15 pounds in the last couple of months.

I was told that it will take 6-8 weeks for the Prevacid to really make a difference with the gastritis. Patience is not one of my better virtues.

My doctor told me that he felt that heredity has also contributed to my high cholesterol & triglyceride levels.

Thanks again for replying. As my sensitivities to foods, chemicals, etc. continues to evolve, my dietary habits must also evolve. It's an ongoing process.

Sally

#3705 - 03/21/03 04:46 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Hi - I'm finding out from the board that some people have a real problem with oatmeal, so you're not alone there. Try cream of rice cereal instead - it's very soothing.

I'd avoid Metamucil and psyllium -they can cause bloating and gas. See if you can get Citrucel, Benefiber, Equalactin, or Fibercon. If you're in the US they should be easy to find. If you're in Canada, do a search on the boards for soluble fiber supplements - there are a lot of threads on that topic. In the UK, look for Celevac.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#3706 - 03/21/03 04:49 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Yes, this would work - but if someone can't/won't eat fish they might not want to eat fish oil either.

Sharon - make sure the label of the supplement says something about molecular distillation - you want to be sure that the heavy metals (in fish thanks to ocean pollution) such as mercury have been distilled out. I actually get fish oil capsules that are the Zone Diet brand. They are surely the only aspect of the Zone Diet I've ever adopted.

- H

--------------------

#3727 - 03/21/03 08:01 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

H - what's Zone Diet? Should I know about this?
Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

#3746 - 03/22/03 01:16 PM
HeatherAdministrator

The Zone Diet, by Barry Sears. It's been the big diet fad for quite a few years now - you've probably seen the books, or the Zone food bars. It's sort of a modified Atkins - not nearly as bad though. He uses a LOT of meat, dairy, etc. and limits carbs.

- H

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1442 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1937

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review