All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
safe soft drinks in a restaurant?
      #359967 - 07/27/10 08:30 AM
jaykaye

Reged: 06/16/09

Just wondered if anyone has any ideas on what drink is safe to order in a pub or restaurant (when everyone else is ordering wine, beer and carbonated drinks etc!) I know most restaurants will bring you water, but for pub meals out it's difficult to know what to order that will be safe - and still be seen to be fairly sociable! I have had cranberry juice before and been ok but not sure if that was just good luck and wondered if anyone could suggest any other options - especially anyone from the UK who knows the range of drinks that are usually available. At home I usually drink herbal teas, water or hot chocolate in winter. I usually avoid drinking at the same time as eating as that seems to affect me but am going for a weekend away soon with people I dont know that well. Can generally cope with eating out now (due to taking a regular dose of Ibsacol which has greatly improved things) but what to drink when out is still a problem. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: safe soft drinks in a restaurant? new
      #359968 - 07/27/10 09:04 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

How about water with lemon slice?I have a friend that only ever drinks water and she isn't IBS.So it's not really that big a deal if theyare drinking something else and you only drink water.
I opt for gingerale when I go out,I can handle it better than the restaurants water or I bring my own bottle of water.

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#359971 - 07/27/10 10:22 AM
Thai

Reged: 10/04/09

I only EVER drink water with lemon slice when out.
Don't feel you have to drink what everyone else is.
No one else feels my pain the next day so I don't allow them to make me feel that I must conform to the so called "norm".

--------------------
IBS-D

#359976 - 07/27/10 12:38 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I have good luck asking for herbal iced teas, or virgin mojitos (ask if they're carbonated - they can make them with still instead of sparkling water).

Best,
H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#360007 - 07/29/10 01:06 AM
jaykaye

Reged: 06/16/09

Thanks! Like the iced herbal tea idea although might have to take my own tea! Otherwise will probably stick to water as seems the best option.

#360031 - 07/29/10 07:10 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

At Big Bowl or other Asian places I get the homemade ginger ale and at Noodles and Co I get one of those Izzy drinks. Both have light carbonation but are ok for me once in a while. Some restaurants have funny tasting water or the food makes the water taste bad- not sure which. I have a hard time figuring out what to drink at those places. So many restaurants don't have any decaf teas! -like Applebees- which is so stupid.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5734 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2402

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review