Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Cereals (especially oat-based)
      #359791 - 07/19/10 08:44 AM
sharpcl

Reged: 07/19/10
Loc: London, UK

Hello,

I'm hoping that someone can give me some advice on suitable cereals for an IBS sufferer. I know that oatmeal's a good source of soluble fibre, but I'm confused about other oat cereals.

Rolled oats and oatmeal seem both to come from oat groats, both being whole grain cereals. Obviously oatmeal is on the list of safe foods, but I'm not sure whether rolled oats are also included, given that whole grain cereals are on the danger list. I presume that wholegrain oat cereals (like Oatibix) would be included in the insoluble fibre list, but in that case I don't quite understand why oatmeal's safe - unless it's to do with how much it's been ground down to start with.

And is any type of Quinoa OK?

Any help very gratefully received - I've found the cereal aisle in UK supermarkets very confusing!

Thanks,
Catherine

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Oatmeal tends to be one of the safest whole grains... new
      #359792 - 07/19/10 01:57 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

but it does still have some insoluble fiber so be careful until you know that it's tolerable for you.

You're right - the degree to which the oat groats have been physically processed will mechanically break down the insoluble fiber and make the grain more tolerable.

So, oat groats would be the most difficult, while instant oatmeal is the most finely pulverized and thus the most tolerable. Actually, oat flour, which is completely ground to a fine powder, would be safer still, but not really practical for a cereal (though it's nice for baking).

Quinoa is very safe for most folks. Cornmeal or polenta is another whole grain that tends to be very safe (again, because it's very finely ground).

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Cereals (especially oat-based) new
      #359797 - 07/19/10 04:41 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I'm in the States, but I find I do well with Cheerios (oat-based). I can also do corn flakes and other corn-based cereals, but I stay satisfied longer with oat cereals.

However, I'd defer to Heather and see where your tolerances are.

Re: Cereals (especially oat-based) new
      #359799 - 07/19/10 05:49 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

From what I have seen of cereals and breads in the UK they run very grainy vs the American counterparts. I would be more cautious until you start to gauge your tolerance.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Little Minnie's right new
      #359814 - 07/19/10 08:22 PM
glasgowgirl

Reged: 09/01/08
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

a lot of the oat/porridge cereal in the UK are on the whole grain side. You can check the back of the box to see the SF/IF break down.

Something like ready break could be OK.

--------------------
Stable IBS D

Thanks so much new
      #359822 - 07/20/10 04:36 AM
sharpcl

Reged: 07/19/10
Loc: London, UK

Thanks very much, everyone: glad I hadn't completely misunderstood! I've tried some medium oatmeal this morning, which seems good so far.

Very glad I found the forum.

All the best,
Catherine

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1182 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8790

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review