All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
so I assume new
      #359221 - 06/10/10 06:59 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

you are completely stable and have no bad IBS days?

Oh that isn't true? If you have any issues that you cannot contribute 100% to stress/emotional factors, you need to look at your diet and whether you are in fact eating something that triggers IBS.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: so I assume new
      #359226 - 06/10/10 08:06 PM
Jenny B

Reged: 03/27/07
Loc: Montana

Little Minnie,

I don't know if your comment about being stable and having no bad IBS days was directed at me...

But to answer your question: No, I am not completely stable and I still have days when I am so bloated that I like to call myself a "pregnant whale". That is how I feel, especially because I am such a tiny person. I just recently added the organic cheese into my diet and I really haven't had any problems with it. I've read that the harder a cheese it, the less lactose it has. But because I eat organic, I don't worry about added growth hormones, color additives, or any animal by products in my cheese. I also try to buy local if I can.

I hope I haven't offended or mislead anyone, I just wanted to share my experience. I was just tired of feeling deprived and wanted to add some variety to my diet, so I went for cheese. Plus, I have been enjoying time off from school for the last month, so I can say my stress levels are way down and I've been getting a lot more sleep, which I know is helpful in keeping the digestion system in line.

If anyone has any more questions, please feel free to ask!

Re: that is all BS! new
      #359227 - 06/11/10 05:36 AM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

Little Minnie, I would not normally necessarily trust that site either because I don't know where they got their info. The reason I posted the website is because it was right on with what my Japanese Eastern Nutrition professor told us in class. He lived in Japan for many years. I sure hope he's not telling us all BS because I'm paying a lot of money to take the class.

#359228 - 06/11/10 05:38 AM
Allisonmary

Don't you always say that you always have bloating and gas no matter what you do? Do you think possibly it could be the soy?

#359233 - 06/11/10 11:01 AM
Jenny B

Reged: 03/27/07
Loc: Montana

Don't know if the bloating question is related to me, but I have pretty much cut all the soy that I can. I don't drink soy milk anymore or use soy based margarines of cheeses. All I know is some days are better or worse than others and I try not to stress about it, I've learned to just kind of go with the flow.

Most of the soy eaten in Asia is NOT fermented... new
      #359234 - 06/11/10 12:48 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

it's in the form of fresh soy milk or tofu. Neither are fermented. Miso and seitan are fermented, as is soy sauce.

Tofu is simply curdled fresh soy milk (usually coagulated with calcium).

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Yes - it's one of the most compellling books I've ever read. new
      #359235 - 06/11/10 12:48 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

The years of research and study that back it up are very difficult to dispute.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#359242 - 06/11/10 07:31 PM
Little Minnie

Well my point is that you cannot recommend a food on the trigger list and say "I have no problem with it" unless you are perfectly stable. I said I had no problems with dairy for years because the problems weren't directly after eating dairy but sort of all the time. I found out otherwise when I learned I needed to give it up.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#359243 - 06/11/10 07:38 PM
Little Minnie

Indeed yes, soy can cause bloating and gas. We have long discussed that and it is no secret. I avoid drinking soy milk and certain soy products lead to a full, gassy feeling. However, soy products do not cause the health problems some people out there claim. My IBS has not gotten worse the more soy I add. Transferring to vegetarian, I have increased my soy intake without increasing bloating or gas.
My bloating and gas almost disappear in summer. My diet is similar but probably less cals in summer. Therefore I conclude that non-diet reasons are partly to mostly to blame for my bloating.

This thread was not started to talk about whether soy is safe for IBS but from a claim that milk is soothing and not a trigger. Not eating milk and eating soy are not necessarily related. One can cut out milk but not include soy. To put it another way, when you cut out milk you don't have to add in soy. So don't listen to anyone who tells you soy is bad so you better drink dairy instead. That makes no sense.

--------------------

#359245 - 06/12/10 04:45 AM
Allisonmary

From looking at the research and hearing stories about many of his patients, I choose to believe that soy can be harmful for your health and I am going to try to get off all soy as best I can. You don't have to agree but I would make sure if you are eating a lot of soy, to make sure you have enough iodine in your diet so you don't end up on hypothyroid medicine. You don't have to believe that either I'm just trying to let you know what I have heard, you can decide for yourself. I wasn't told to eat dairy, I just notice it doesn't make me all that sick and I was hoping to add a few healthy foods that had a little dairy back in to my diet. For years I would try to avoid things like macaroni and cheese and make soy mac and cheese. And truth is, the soy mac and cheese makes me 10x more sick then the regular! Then I hear all this info about soy in class and I was just trying to help in letting you all know. How do you know its not like the story where they tell you fat and bacon are good for you. How can you be sure what they are telling you about soy is not just to make money!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3331 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 19490

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review