All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
IBS/Diverticulosis
      #358918 - 05/27/10 10:41 AM
di8286

Reged: 05/27/10

I am a 52-year old professional who was hospitalized and diagnosed with diverticulosis 7 years ago. I have that pretty much managed. I was diagnosed with IBS last Fall. However, the doctors have suspected the IBS for awhile now. It was suggested that I get off of dairy which I did about 6-7 mos ago. I have had stomach problems all my life. My brother had ulcerative colitis and had his colon removed in his early twenties. I go through both, constipation and diarrhea - sometimes both in the same day. As of last Sunday, I began a gluten/wheat free diet, but I'm not feeling better. I don't know what to eat anymore due to all the limitations. I did order your book that just came in, "The First Year IBS." and the other one is on its way. I have been researching and reading up on all this and trying to eat healthy. How do I follow an IBS diet if I need to be dairy, gluten/wheat free also? Any suggestions? Thank you.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Pretty much the same diet for both, and it's also dairy free... new
      #358919 - 05/27/10 11:09 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I'd get yourself checked for celiac and wheat allergies BEFORE you try a gluten free diet.

If those tests are negative, see how you do with the IBS diet (which is inherently dairy-free) and with a soluble fiber supplement (info here) for the diarrhea/constipation. This may take care of your issues and you won't have to bother with going gluten free.

If you are wheat or gluten intolerant, you can combine that with the IBS diet - search the boards for past posts on this. But, I wouldn't bother to take this step until you've been tested so you know what you're dealing with.

And, if you're avoiding gluten and then you take a gluten tolerance test, you can get a false negative.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Pretty much the same diet for both, and it's also dairy free... new
      #358924 - 05/27/10 12:25 PM
di8286

Thanks Heather for getting back to me so soon. I was tested for celiac disease through a blood test right after the gastroentronologist diagnosed me with IBS and the test came back negative. So, is the blood test for celiac disease accurate? To be honest with you, since I started this gluten free on Sunday, my stomach feels like someone punched me. People at Sprouts were telling me to go off of wheat. I wonder now. I did forget to mention to you that I cannot handle soy either. It really cramps me up. I've been drinking herbal teas. I am also taking this powder supplement called: IntestiNew - "A natural formula to help maintain and support the mucosal lining of the intestine for maximum protection against leaky gut. IntestiNEW provides ingredients that the body uses to generate the intestinal mucosal lining essential to proper digestion." It's quite expensive - $40.00 for a month's supply. I also take a probiotic every morning, multi-vitamin, calcium supplement as I have had osteopororis since I was 35 yrs old; and Omega-3 supplement. That's it. I really don't want to take too many supplements. I would rather eat healthier. I have prescription meds for the IBS, but don't take them because I don't like the way they make me feel. I recently went off of red meat; eating only organic chicken, fish and turkey products. I'm staying away from processed foods. I love to cook and bake - so I'm making things from scratch. Can't wait to read your books. Thank you.

#358925 - 05/27/10 12:31 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Check here http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/faq.asp#wheat for wheat info for IBS.

Check here http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/faq.asp#soy for soy info.

What is in the IntestiNew? What you really need is just a pure soluble fiber supplement with nothing else added.

Best,
H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#358929 - 05/27/10 08:35 PM
di8286

Thank you for the links. Began reading your book "First Year IBS" today. Excellent so far. As far as IntestiNew - the ingredients are: L-Gutamine, N-Acetyl D-Glucosamine, Gamma Oryzanol, herbal blend of: Cranesbill root, Ginger root, Marigold extract, marshamallow root. It says on the label that it's an intestinal lining support formula and it also states: "targets irritable bowel, heartburn & digestive stress, helps soothe the digestive system, powerful antioxidant effects."

IntestiNew new
      #358932 - 05/28/10 06:50 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

L-Glutamine accounts for about 95% of the ingredient content of the Canadian product IntestiNew powder and capsules. While L-glutamine has been shown to have some beneficial effects for critically ill individuals with intestinal permeability problems there is no clinical evidence to support its benefical use for IBS. You might find more benefit from a pure soluble fiber supplement. However, be careful to avoid soluble fiber supplements that contain FOS or inulin.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: IntestiNew new
      #358937 - 05/28/10 08:06 AM
di8286

Thank you for the feedback. I am going to be ordering Heather's Fiber as I have to stay away from psyllum, etc. The IntestiNew is expensive anyways. I just need to know if Heather's fiber is enough for one month? I also want to get the peppermint oil capsules. I already have her book, the First Year, IBS and the other one is on its way.

Yes - the Tummy Fiber is enough for one month.... new
      #358942 - 05/28/10 11:35 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Especially since you'd be starting with 1/2 teaspoon twice daily, and gradually increasing. If you get up to 2 tablespoons (which is 6 teaspoons) per day (and you might not need that much) then one can or pouch would be about a 5 week supply.

Best,
H

--------------------

Re: Yes - the Tummy Fiber is enough for one month.... new
      #358947 - 05/28/10 04:43 PM
di8286

I have been reading your book, "First Year IBS" - fantastic. It's all making sense now. I just got your other book in today, Eating for IBS - can't wait to read that too. I have some questions: regarding page 26 of First Year IBS book, you have listed Dairy products to eliminate for IBS. So, does that include cheese that has casein in it? I have been buying almond cheese, but it does have casein in it. As far as introducing soy to my diet gradually, should I begin the IBS diet first, take the fiber that I'm going to order from you, etc., then try the soy products? Seems like alot of the recipes I saw have soy in them. What about foods containing soy lecithin, soy isolate? You also have listed under the high fat foods list on page 27 - all oils, nuts and nut butters. So, does someone with IBS have to eliminate all oils even if they are the good ones like olive that are expeller expressed? If this is the case, what does one use for a salad dressing? On page 30 - the list of insoluble fiber: I always thought that whole wheat was better for you than white flour - that white flour was stripped of all the nutrients, etc.? So, if I make my own bread (which I love to bake), it wouldn't be alright to use white/wheat flour? There's actually a flour that's called white/wheat and I looked at the ingredients and the whole wheat is "whole." As far as eating salads, I just read where you talked about eating it at the end of the meal - what a great idea. No wonder when I eat salads, I get such cramping. It makes sense to have other foods as a foundation (kind of like coating the stomach). I just need to learn to do all this. I have been getting seedless cucumbers and cutting out the seeds of tomatoes, avoiding corn, popcorn now for 7-8 years due to the diverticulosis. I really hope my body can adjust to the soy as it will open up more foods to prepare, etc. If not, what type of cheese can I get that has no dairy, soy or casein in it? Do you think I would be okay to order the peppermint oil capsules if I follow your instructions on not taking them on an empty stomach and one hour before I eat? I was told in the past that I had acid reflux, but I never have heart burn (only once in awhile). You know it's funny, I had an appointment today and was told by this person her friend has wheat allergy and went on the gluten free diet and felt worse like I did this week too. I literally felt like someone punched me in the stomach. Does your fennel tea taste like locorice? How many cups of tea does one container of the either the peppermint or fennel tea make?

Some quick answers.... new
      #358948 - 05/28/10 05:03 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Most IBS'ers do just fine with non-dairy cheeses that have a bit of casein in them. Try them, and try the totally vegan ones as well, and see what works best for you.

Soy lecithin and such are things usually used in very small amounts, so the added fat from those is negligible.

Add soy products like soy milk and tofu into your diet gradually, so you don't suddenly get a lot more bean sugar than your gut is used to. You can also mix and match rice and almond milks and cheeses with the soy.

You do NOT want a fat free diet, just low fat. So focus on heart-healthy oils like olive, canola, flax, etc. for the fats you do eat. Add small quantities to soluble fiber foundations - the recipes give concrete examples of that.

White flour is whole wheat flour with the bran and germ removed, then nutrients are added back in. Whole wheat flour is healthier, but the insoluble fiber content makes it difficult for IBS. Use in small quantities and see how you do. White flour has no insoluble fiber left, so it's a safe foundation.

The peppermint oil caps are tolerable for many - but not all - people who are prone to reflux, because of the extra enteric coating. This is one of those things where you have to try it yourself to know for sure. I've never been able to see any consistency in those who can tolerate peppermint tea but not the caps, or the caps but not the tea, or no mint at all. It varies too much from person to person.

Fennel tastes like a light and slightly sweet black licorice. If you hate that taste, brew it with peppermint or another type of herbal tea. That will get you the benefits without the taste.

The Tummy Tea cans make one cup of tea per teabag, so 45 for the fennel and 36 for the peppermint. The loose tea cans and pouches will make a lot more. Loose teas are always more economical, but tea bags can be more convenient.

XXOO
H

--------------------

Re: Some quick answers.... new
      #358949 - 05/28/10 05:49 PM
di8286

Thanks for getting back to me Heather. I'm on my way out the door to get some groceries, then to the Farmer's Market tomorrow, etc. I also want to place an order for your fiber, etc. Yes, I'll probably purchase the loose tea as I have a tea infuser in my cup to make teas. I like it better that way. So, I guess I'll go back to buying the organic white flour and make my own bread (maybe even sour dough bread). I could even buy the white/wheat and do half and half and see how that works. Thanks again for all your help.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 521 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5525

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review