All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Fiber Frustration
      #358674 - 05/16/10 01:28 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

What gets me is how in the past, when posting on here, I have been told I need more IF and fiber overall since I consume 180 grams of protein daily.

OK...well duh...I WOULD have more fiber...but these stupid IBS restrictions make it possible.
Don't you think I WOULD have more fiber if I wouldn't get demrits for it?

1) How much fiber do I need daily, including SFS, for a 2800-3200 cal diet w/180 grams of protein and IBS?

2) Just how exactly am I supposed to get X amount of fiber when I can not consume

-Oatmeal
-Raw Veggies
-Saleds
-Bananas?

How am I supposed to get enough fiber under these restrictions?
If I could have oatmeal in the morning, and a saled for lunch, I could get my quota...how I am supposed to do it without?

How?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Why can't you eat oatmeal? -nt- new
      #358691 - 05/17/10 09:25 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Check the soluble and insoluble fiber food lists on this site. -nt- new
      #358692 - 05/17/10 09:48 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

I too am now extremely confused about fiber new
      #358701 - 05/18/10 05:19 AM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

I am getting more and more confused about insoluble and soluble fiber. I know that we are supposed to have lots of SF and as much IF as we can tolerate with a SF base. Foods that have more soluble fiber rather than insoluble fiber are generally safe. (like sweet potatoes, bananas, some oatmeals) These do not have to be eaten with a soluble fiber base correct? Now farina which has wheat germ in it (insoluble) is not an insoluble fiber food correct? becasue it also has soluble fiber and should generally be safe for most right? I asked a few weeks ago about bagels containing the insoluble fiber cellulose fiber, which does seem to cause me some problems but why? If it also has the soluble fiber and is not whole grain? Wouldn't it be similar to eating sweet potatoes or bananas that has soluble and insoluble? When people talk about eating things like mangos do they eat them alone or is this ok to just eat? Some people cant eat any insoluble fiber is this true? I love rice but Im getting alittle sick of having it breakfast lunch and dinner lol. Sorry if my questions are stupid Im just getting more and more confused.

Re: Fiber Frustration new
      #358703 - 05/18/10 06:01 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

I can't eat oatmeal either. I can't eat many of the foods on the soluble fiber list, unfortunately. You have to try and experiment and see what works for you, I guess. Have you thought about doing smoothies for breakfast instead, with maybe a piece of toast with peanut butter on it? Or cream of rice with mixed berries. This gives me 9 grams of fiber right off the bat. Sometimes I add flaxmeal to it. Also, I find that beans help the C sometimes. I eat beans when I'm desperate, like for lunch today I will have Lisa Marie's squash and lentil soup with baked corn chips.

Unfortunately, everything on the safe list isn't safe for everyone...so, I guess we all need to try and find our own diet.

Re: I too am now extremely confused about fiber new
      #358709 - 05/18/10 06:15 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Foods high in soluble fiber don't have to be eaten with anything else. But veggies and fruits that are high in soluble fiber also contain insoluble fiber too. However, it sure cannot hurt to add a bit more SF.

Farina - or Cream of Wheat - usually is only made from the endosperm and is free of bran and wheat germ.

Cellulose is the primary component of IF. The ratio of IF to SF depends on how much cellulose as been added to the bagel. Also, bagels frequently contain HFCS. Do you know if the bagel you eat contains HFCS.

Mangoes contain roughly equal amounts of SF and IF. They can be eaten alone without additional SF.

Every fruit and veggies contains both soluble and insoluble fiber. However, when they are peeled the amount of IF is deceased. The list of soluble fiber foods is a list of foods that are high in soluble fiber but it does not mean they don't contain a fair amount of insoluble fiber too. Many people get confused by this fact. It is impossible to remove all insoluble fiber foods from one's diet. However, one can restrict foods to those that have a high soluble fiber content as well as insoluble fiber.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#358710 - 05/18/10 06:17 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

Syl, this helps to explain it so well! Thanks.

#358713 - 05/18/10 06:51 AM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

Thankyou,
No the bagels don't have HFCS..They are Thomas bagels but I also notice the very last ingredient is soy flour which may be a prob for me.
The cream of farina and cream of wheat I buy both has wheat germ as the secind ingredient. I am having a hard time finding out if this is a problem for me. If it is, it becomes a problem only after it gets in to the large intestine.
I have a very hard time with insolubles I realize, I have heathers soluble fiber supplement but I never use it because when I did I felt like I had to go to the bathroom all the time but I couldn't Does anyone else get that? I should try it again. I feel so restricted in what I can eat right now its driving me crazy.

#358714 - 05/18/10 07:21 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

The cream of wheat with added wheat germ could be a problem. Wheat germ is high in IF. You might look for Purity wheatlets that are made solely from the endosperm and the bran & wheat germ are removed.

Have you tried increasing your dose of acacia ** very slowly ** starting with a small dose?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Why can't you eat oatmeal? -nt- new
      #358723 - 05/18/10 01:14 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

EVERY time I try oatmeal, it fails badly.

You know, it's just really frustrating.
So we have this quota of fiber to get, ok, fair enough.
But then you go ahead and make it IMPOSSIBLE and as inconvenient as possible to meet the requirement.

Example...most people to get fiber have Oatmeal at breakfast, whole grain breads at lunch, pack an apple to eat with them, have a salad at dinner, and maybe some V8.

So how I am supposed to get my quota of fiber?
SFS can give 12 grams...max.
You took out salads (can't handle)....take out raw fruits and veggies...so how am I supposed to get it?

Do I need to slave over the stove cooking FRUITS?
It is one thing to spend an hour 1-2 times a week cooking dinner, quite another to be stationed at the stove and microwave 3-4 times a day preparing FRUIT AND VEGGIE SNACKS/SIDES.

I am sorry, but that is completely impractical and inconvenient. You know this circluar logic of IBS really gets to me.
You people say "eat fiber" I say ok then you add restrictions making such impossible. Then you say stop obsessing on food or IBS...that I need to relax...well how I am supposed to relax if I have to spend all day worrying about fiber...trying to devise ways to get fiber...and having to cook fruits/veggies 4 times a day?

So...if I need 35 grams of fiber per day....please tell me how I can get it without having it become an obsession that interferes with work and relaxing...because I swear having to cook fruits and veggies 3/4 times a day IS just that.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 694 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10584

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review