All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Fiber Frustration
      #358674 - 05/16/10 01:28 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

What gets me is how in the past, when posting on here, I have been told I need more IF and fiber overall since I consume 180 grams of protein daily.

OK...well duh...I WOULD have more fiber...but these stupid IBS restrictions make it possible.
Don't you think I WOULD have more fiber if I wouldn't get demrits for it?

1) How much fiber do I need daily, including SFS, for a 2800-3200 cal diet w/180 grams of protein and IBS?

2) Just how exactly am I supposed to get X amount of fiber when I can not consume

-Oatmeal
-Raw Veggies
-Saleds
-Bananas?

How am I supposed to get enough fiber under these restrictions?
If I could have oatmeal in the morning, and a saled for lunch, I could get my quota...how I am supposed to do it without?

How?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Why can't you eat oatmeal? -nt- new
      #358691 - 05/17/10 09:25 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Check the soluble and insoluble fiber food lists on this site. -nt- new
      #358692 - 05/17/10 09:48 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

I too am now extremely confused about fiber new
      #358701 - 05/18/10 05:19 AM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

I am getting more and more confused about insoluble and soluble fiber. I know that we are supposed to have lots of SF and as much IF as we can tolerate with a SF base. Foods that have more soluble fiber rather than insoluble fiber are generally safe. (like sweet potatoes, bananas, some oatmeals) These do not have to be eaten with a soluble fiber base correct? Now farina which has wheat germ in it (insoluble) is not an insoluble fiber food correct? becasue it also has soluble fiber and should generally be safe for most right? I asked a few weeks ago about bagels containing the insoluble fiber cellulose fiber, which does seem to cause me some problems but why? If it also has the soluble fiber and is not whole grain? Wouldn't it be similar to eating sweet potatoes or bananas that has soluble and insoluble? When people talk about eating things like mangos do they eat them alone or is this ok to just eat? Some people cant eat any insoluble fiber is this true? I love rice but Im getting alittle sick of having it breakfast lunch and dinner lol. Sorry if my questions are stupid Im just getting more and more confused.

Re: Fiber Frustration new
      #358703 - 05/18/10 06:01 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

I can't eat oatmeal either. I can't eat many of the foods on the soluble fiber list, unfortunately. You have to try and experiment and see what works for you, I guess. Have you thought about doing smoothies for breakfast instead, with maybe a piece of toast with peanut butter on it? Or cream of rice with mixed berries. This gives me 9 grams of fiber right off the bat. Sometimes I add flaxmeal to it. Also, I find that beans help the C sometimes. I eat beans when I'm desperate, like for lunch today I will have Lisa Marie's squash and lentil soup with baked corn chips.

Unfortunately, everything on the safe list isn't safe for everyone...so, I guess we all need to try and find our own diet.

Re: I too am now extremely confused about fiber new
      #358709 - 05/18/10 06:15 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Foods high in soluble fiber don't have to be eaten with anything else. But veggies and fruits that are high in soluble fiber also contain insoluble fiber too. However, it sure cannot hurt to add a bit more SF.

Farina - or Cream of Wheat - usually is only made from the endosperm and is free of bran and wheat germ.

Cellulose is the primary component of IF. The ratio of IF to SF depends on how much cellulose as been added to the bagel. Also, bagels frequently contain HFCS. Do you know if the bagel you eat contains HFCS.

Mangoes contain roughly equal amounts of SF and IF. They can be eaten alone without additional SF.

Every fruit and veggies contains both soluble and insoluble fiber. However, when they are peeled the amount of IF is deceased. The list of soluble fiber foods is a list of foods that are high in soluble fiber but it does not mean they don't contain a fair amount of insoluble fiber too. Many people get confused by this fact. It is impossible to remove all insoluble fiber foods from one's diet. However, one can restrict foods to those that have a high soluble fiber content as well as insoluble fiber.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#358710 - 05/18/10 06:17 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

Syl, this helps to explain it so well! Thanks.

#358713 - 05/18/10 06:51 AM
Allisonmary

Thankyou,
No the bagels don't have HFCS..They are Thomas bagels but I also notice the very last ingredient is soy flour which may be a prob for me.
The cream of farina and cream of wheat I buy both has wheat germ as the secind ingredient. I am having a hard time finding out if this is a problem for me. If it is, it becomes a problem only after it gets in to the large intestine.
I have a very hard time with insolubles I realize, I have heathers soluble fiber supplement but I never use it because when I did I felt like I had to go to the bathroom all the time but I couldn't Does anyone else get that? I should try it again. I feel so restricted in what I can eat right now its driving me crazy.

#358714 - 05/18/10 07:21 AM
Syl

The cream of wheat with added wheat germ could be a problem. Wheat germ is high in IF. You might look for Purity wheatlets that are made solely from the endosperm and the bran & wheat germ are removed.

Have you tried increasing your dose of acacia ** very slowly ** starting with a small dose?

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

Re: Why can't you eat oatmeal? -nt- new
      #358723 - 05/18/10 01:14 PM
Naturapanic

EVERY time I try oatmeal, it fails badly.

You know, it's just really frustrating.
So we have this quota of fiber to get, ok, fair enough.
But then you go ahead and make it IMPOSSIBLE and as inconvenient as possible to meet the requirement.

Example...most people to get fiber have Oatmeal at breakfast, whole grain breads at lunch, pack an apple to eat with them, have a salad at dinner, and maybe some V8.

So how I am supposed to get my quota of fiber?
SFS can give 12 grams...max.
You took out salads (can't handle)....take out raw fruits and veggies...so how am I supposed to get it?

Do I need to slave over the stove cooking FRUITS?
It is one thing to spend an hour 1-2 times a week cooking dinner, quite another to be stationed at the stove and microwave 3-4 times a day preparing FRUIT AND VEGGIE SNACKS/SIDES.

I am sorry, but that is completely impractical and inconvenient. You know this circluar logic of IBS really gets to me.
You people say "eat fiber" I say ok then you add restrictions making such impossible. Then you say stop obsessing on food or IBS...that I need to relax...well how I am supposed to relax if I have to spend all day worrying about fiber...trying to devise ways to get fiber...and having to cook fruits/veggies 4 times a day?

So...if I need 35 grams of fiber per day....please tell me how I can get it without having it become an obsession that interferes with work and relaxing...because I swear having to cook fruits and veggies 3/4 times a day IS just that.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#358727 - 05/18/10 01:26 PM
Naturapanic

Seriously, this really pisses me off.
Telling me to have more fiber, ok, duh, I know that, but HOW?

You took out my ability to have raw fruit/veggies, V8, Oatmeal, salad, and whole grain bread...SO HOW am I supposed to get enough (35 g) of fiber?

Spend 2 hours a day cooking fruit and veggie snacks?
Parking myself at the microwave every 2-3 hours at work/at home to make sure I cook my fruit and veggies?

Sometimes I think people here have no job and no life besides IBS, because when I can't eat raw fruit on the go, have V8, or salads, then just how am I supposed to get this fiber without revolving my life around IBS (and then being scolded for being obsessed).

I seriously HATE how we are told to do something (like get fiber) and then you put 10 restrictions to make it as tough possible and then add not to get stressed...seems that Nothing can overcome IBS...you try to solve one problem only to be given an over restrive set of obstacles....then mocked "well you have to not get stressed."

Please, somebody tell me how I can get 35 grams of fiber w/o raw fruits/veggies/salads/whole grain bread/oatmeal/or a V8 type drink and not be completely obsessed and stressed out planning, preparing, and spending my whole day doing so.......I just hate the imposition....yes I know I need fiber....yes I know about IF...yes I know I need to not obsess and relax...so how is it possible?
I'm not an idiot, I see the obvious, but you have made it IMPOSSIBLE to find a practical solution

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#358728 - 05/18/10 01:49 PM
Syl

What do you mean oatmeal fails you badly?

You don't need to cook the fruit. You need to peel it. You can blend it, juice it and cook if you want. However, it is best to peel and cook most veggies. Although they can be blended and juiced too. Just be careful what veggies you choose.

It might worthwhile going back to Heather's books and looking elsewhere on the web site and refresh yourself on how to eat fruits and veggies on the EFI diet.

Although the Benefiber container recommends not exceeding 12 grams a day there is nothing that says you cannot go higher if you want. After all - it is a food supplement - not a medicine.

While most people can eat whole grain breads individuals with IBS must be very careful eating them because of the type of IF they contain. Just like individuals with diabetes, nut allergies, etc have to be careful what they eat individuals with IBS have to be careful what they eat if they wish to manage and not exacerbate their symptoms.

Nuturapanic, you seem to have some unusual dietary requirements that you want to follow. If you wish to stick with your diet and the EFI diet too then you will have to become imaginative looking for ways to do so. On the other hand - the EFI diet might not be the diet for you and you may have to look elsewhere.

Don't forget, dietary changes do not usually bring instant results. It can take weeks if not months, especially for those with C, before a significant change is noticed. However, if you adjust your diet too ofter then you have no way of knowing what does and does not work for you.

Unfortunately, dietary management of IBS takes time, patients and discipline to be effective. There doesn't seem to be any shortcuts

--------------------

#358729 - 05/18/10 02:04 PM
Naturapanic

Hey Syl...check your email.

I want to get better...but everybody keeps saying to have fiber.
Well, how can I get the fruits and veggies if I can not eat them raw?
Now, if I could have V8, that would make it easier.

I likely can only get 2 servings of veggies per day, tops, otherwise.
I just do not have the time and mental energy to be cooking veggies at lunch, at dinner, and 1-2 other times as a snack...so if no raw veggies and no V8...then I am only am getting 1-2 servings of veggies...sorry...no other way around it unless I want to become obsessed with IBS...then have to hear about how stress is why I am bloated.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#358731 - 05/18/10 03:02 PM
Syl

Almost all raw veggies can be cooked; even lettuce. Cooked veggies contain roughly the same amount of dietary fiber. Some cooked ones contain a bit more because the cooking can produce things like resistant starches which act like SF. Many cooked veggies can be eaten cold. Instead of preparing a single serving prepare 2 or 3 servings. Put the other servings in the fridge to be eaten at lunch or elsewhere.

You cannot control the contents of V8 juice. Buy a juicer and make your own. This way you know it contains IBS safe peel veggies and fruit and you can control the the amount of IF from the pulp it contains.

You can always substitute fruit - even canned fruit - for veggies to get the fiber you need.

There are many imaginative ways to get 30 grams or more of IBS safe fiber per day without doing a lot of cooking or eating prepared processed foods.

--------------------

What do you mean when you say oatmeal fails badly? -nt- new
      #358732 - 05/18/10 04:13 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#358742 - 05/18/10 06:41 PM
Allisonmary

Hey, are you feeling any better after revising your diet a little bit or not much?

#358743 - 05/18/10 08:02 PM
glasgowgirl

Reged: 09/01/08
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Nobodies saying don't eat raw fruits. You can eat them whole or blend them in a smoothy with rice/soy/almond/oatmeal milk.

For lunch you can make a SF based soup (yam, sweet potato) in a slow coooker. If you make a big enough batched you can freeze the left overs. All I do is get a carton of veg stock, chop up some yams, add leeks tomatoes etc and leave it too cook in the slow cooker for a few hours until the veg turns soft.

I also make the cakes from the EFI book for snacks or take in some apple sauce. You can make your own with peach for extra IF or buy bottles of apple/peach/apricot sauce.

I blog at http://saynotocomplex.blogspot.com/ if you want more ideas about what food to take to work.

--------------------
Stable IBS D

#358749 - 05/19/10 05:08 AM
Allisonmary

I just bought a different bran of farina without the wheat germ, it tastes exactly the same as the cream of wheat too.
So, we always talk about almond drink as being safe, the 1gram of fiber in almond milk is that insoluble too?
The unsweetened kind has low calories and therefore a high fat percentage, is this somethign to be careful of if you are going to drink a glass of almond drink? Would the sweetened actually be better becaseu it has more calories and therefore a lower fat percentage?
Chocolate almond milk has the cocoa in it also would this be more insoluble u think?

Almond milk of any kind is just fine. There is no insoluble fiber in there. -nt - new
      #358762 - 05/19/10 09:45 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#358806 - 05/20/10 04:09 PM
Naturapanic

How?
How do I get fiber?

I'm sick and tired of this...I feel like crap...and I am tired of all you people making my life miserable...yes you do.

YOU tell me to have Fiber...and then you tell me I can't get it doing x,y,z.
It's like this is some kind of TV dare..."walk across the bridge but do it blindfolded and with no rails."

I AINT COOKING!!!
Sorry, I make a sandwich, and 2-4 times a week I make dinner, that's it. Enough is enough.....I am sorry I can not devote 24/7 to cooking.....but I live in the real world.

So please....how am I supposed to get 35 g of fiber?
How?

Oatmeal gives me bloating.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#358817 - 05/20/10 04:53 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

"Us people" cannot help you with your "miserable life". Don't you get it? Why do you keep posting when you know "us people" cannot help you? Why don't you just move on? There is no being nice to you and trying to help you. You are just rude and obnoxious back to the people trying to help you. Just go!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 469 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10516

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review