All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
New and need advice
      #358516 - 05/08/10 04:49 AM
debbylev

Reged: 04/08/10
Loc: SC

I have IBS-C and have done all the tests with my doctor. The diagnosis was severe diverticulitis and ibs. I found this site and have bought the books, fiber and peppermint capsules. I have been following the diet and recipes from the Eating for IBS book and taking the peppermint capsules. Previously, I have tried every kind of fiber on the market including guar gum, always starting with small doses and they always make everything worse. I have introduced the acacia fiber at a small dose. 1/8 teaspoon to begin twice a day. Once again, as soon as it hits my gut everything grinds to a halt. I drink lots of water and tea (peppermint, fennel, chamomile, ginger) throughout the day until I feel like I am floating away. Does anyone have any suggestions for me, I am trying so hard to find an answer. The diet is helping but I would like to follow the whole program. I am currently using miralax, magnesium and dulcolax if I need them without much success. Is it possible some people cannot use fiber? My symptoms seem so stable when I try and I have been trying the Acacia for six weeks now and haven't been able to increase it but I have tried uping the dose after the first week, with terrible results. Thank you to anyone who feels they can help.

--------------------
Debbie
IBS-C

Edited by debbylev (05/08/10 07:15 PM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: New and need advice new
      #358548 - 05/10/10 08:48 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

There are people who say they cannot tolerate a fiber supplement at all.
What is your diet like? It is possible to get enough fiber from diet.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: New and need advice new
      #358550 - 05/11/10 01:16 AM
debbylev

Thank you for responding. I have been following the IBS Diet faithfully for 6 weeks. I started with the two days of break the cycle and the small amount of acacia. I felt better taking the acacia and using the diet but then the constipation got so bad I couldn't go at all even using my regular routine with the miralax. I now have oatmeal, cream of wheat or cream of rice for breakfast with mashed up canned peaches or another insoluble fruit. For mid morning I use either some pretzels and soy milk or applesauce that I have been making from the recipes. Lunch and dinner I again try to mix the SF and IF. I drink the teas and use the tummy capsules. I have tried using small amounts of the acacia just sprinkled on my food as I can't seem to tolerate fiber in any thing other than a small amount. I have missed so much time from work this year and by night time I am swollen. I don't know what else to do. My doctor keeps saying to increase the miralax and other laxatives but that just seems to backfire so I am trying to wean away. I was so hoping this was going to help me at least stabilze most of the time.

--------------------
Debbie
IBS-C

If you've been using laxatives... new
      #358561 - 05/11/10 11:45 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

check one of the Five Constipation Frustrations for help with transitioning off them as you transition onto your soluble fiber supplement. Slow and steady is the key.

And do keep doing what you've been trying, with the gradual increase in insoluble fiber foods (again, carefully).

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: If you've been using laxatives... new
      #358563 - 05/11/10 01:29 PM
debbylev

Thank you Heather for the response. I have read through the five frustrations so many times I know it by heart but I read it again anyway. I so much want to do this and after 6 weeks I was getting discouraged but not ready to give up. I just feel like I am doing something wrong that I cannot increase the fiber and the constipation gets worse but also the tummy feels better so it is quite confusing for me sometimes. I will keep on trying slowly.... and maybe soon it will all work together. Thank You!

--------------------
Debbie
IBS-C

Don't be discouraged.... new
      #358564 - 05/11/10 01:34 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

and do try like heck to get enough insoluble fiber every day (blend fresh fruit into smoothies, puree veggies into dips/sauces/soups). That will help carry you through.

I've heard from people who took 6 months to gradually transition off laxatives and onto soluble fiber supplements, which I know is a really long time but they did have great results in the end (and saw improvements along the way). It's not fast or easy, but if you can stick with it and get your gut to gradually adapt it can work.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Don't be discouraged.... new
      #358567 - 05/11/10 05:30 PM
debbylev

I am going to try the smoothies I had not done that yet and to also puree the vegetables and fruits they may work better for me blended in with other things. Thank you so much for all the help I think I see some hope now!

--------------------
Debbie
IBS-C

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4196 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3507

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review