All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Lactose intolerance test
      #358368 - 05/04/10 01:23 PM
Fairview

Reged: 03/11/10

My test for lactose intolerance is this Friday. From what I read and my doc told me, I get to drink a big glass of lactose and see what happens. Anyone have experience with this test? Any suggestions to minimize the repercusions that might come after? I can't eat after midnight. Maybe stock up on soluble fiber late thursday night?

I can't believe they don't have a better test than to make you drink stuff and then say "sorry if it ruins your weekend with cramps and D." I guess I'll know for sure tho.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Just FYI..... new
      #358376 - 05/04/10 03:26 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

you can NOT be lactose intolerant and still have dairy as a trigger for IBS. That's really, really common. Check here for details.

Best,
H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Just FYI..... new
      #358379 - 05/04/10 07:22 PM
Fairview

So I wonder if there is a good reason to take the test then. I read that before but didn't think about it til just now. Why bother finding out if I'm gonna avoid dairy anyway?

Maybe I should see if I can change it to the fructose test. That is something you can eat, at least somewhat, with IBS if you pass (or fail I guess) the test, correct?

Edited by Fairview (05/04/10 07:23 PM)

#358395 - 05/05/10 10:00 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I'd say the fructose intolerance is more important. You could actually just have that and not IBS at all (though the same could be said about lactose intolerance).

It's pretty easy to just avoid dairy. It's not easy to completely avoid fructose and still have a healthy diet, and the restrictions on fructose for IBS are much milder than what you'd have to restrict if you do have a fructose intolerance.

I'd say get both tests if you can - the more knowledge the better.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#358401 - 05/05/10 11:28 AM
Fairview

Thanks, Heather.

#358441 - 05/06/10 05:18 AM
jjuk

Reged: 06/21/09
Loc: warwickshire , uk

this is not going to be of any help but i just thought i would share my experience - im from the uk and i asked my gastro doc at the hospital to test me for lactose intolerant and he said can u drink a glass of milk and i said god no irll be ill he said then ur lactose intolerant and even if we do the test it can show false negative and positives or u may still react to it - i was like yeah well thanks for your help NOT !!

--------------------
ibs for 8 years x

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7354 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2280

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review