All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Non-Medical Treatment May Rapidly Relieve Severe IBS Symptoms
      #358099 - 04/27/10 08:56 AM
capricorn1942

Reged: 10/06/03

IBS News this AM

http://blog.taragana.com/health/2010/04/27/cognitive-behavior-therapy-may-rapidly-relieve-severe-ibs-symptoms-22166/

Cheers.

--------------------
ibs-d (pseudo)with pain and bloating

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

This is great, thanks! I'll add that to the research library. -nt- new
      #358104 - 04/27/10 12:12 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Non-Medical Treatment May Rapidly Relieve Severe IBS Symptoms new
      #358105 - 04/27/10 12:41 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

I'm in CBT...no help for IBS.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#358110 - 04/27/10 01:24 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

What I'd like to know about this study is how long the "rapid responders" had had IBS before being treated and whether they were D, C, or A.

For a funny look at using cognitive behavioral therapy for IBS, I recommend the book "Romance, Riches, and Restrooms: A Cautionary Tale of Ambitious Dreams and Irritable Bowels" by Tim Phelan. It's come up on the Boards before and is worth a read.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#358111 - 04/27/10 01:54 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I have read the original article. Unfortunately, they don't give the number of D,C or A. Participants were identified using the Rome II criteria so they had IBS for at least 3 months. The report does not provide very good overall descriptive population statistics about symptoms, time since onset, etc.

Subjects were volunteers - in other words the population was self-selected and not chosen randomly from the population. The author's identified the later as an important limitation saying "There were important limitations to this study. As is the case in many psychotherapy trials, our sample included subjects who volunteered for a behavioral treatment for a medical roblem. It is possible that our subjects were more psychologically minded, motivated, and open to a biobehavioral formulation of their condition than those who did not seek psychological treatment for their IBS."

Unfortunately, the article gives few specifics details since most measurements were made using aggregated score scales. The results in the original paper don't seem as impressive as reported in the Internet posting.

The American College of Gastroenterology in its evidence based guidelines for managing IBS recognize "Cognitive behavioral therapy, dynamic psychotherapy, and hypnotherapy but not relaxation therapy are more effective than usual care in relieving global symptoms of IBS (Grade 1C)". Grade 1C is a strong recommendation with weak evidence to support it. Similarly the British guidelines say cognitive behaviorial therapy "may help patients cope with their symptoms without necessarily abolishing them."

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Thanks, Syl. -nt- new
      #358113 - 04/27/10 01:57 PM
Sand

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#358115 - 04/27/10 02:30 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Sand, very funny book. I read it and then emailed the author. Nice guy. CBT certainly worked for him, and it is the ONLY thing that did work for him. Now, he does stand-up comedy. I saw in interview with him posted on another good website - ibs-life.com.

#358116 - 04/27/10 02:48 PM
Sand

I have to say I always wondered how he would have done on Heather's EFI Diet. When he talked about trying an SFS and then revealed he was using Metamucil, I wanted to scream at him to put it down. Same with alcohol. Still, I think it's great that he did so well with CBT - and his story of that foreign trip with his sweetie was hysterical.

--------------------

#358118 - 04/27/10 03:14 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

I know! He did go through some women. And the way he told the stories of getting stuck on the freeway with traffic...hilarious. Then when he jumped off the bus and went in the bushes and some man saw him. OMG...laughed my butt off.

Yeah, his drinking did bother me. I asked him about that in an email and he said it wasn't alot, and it didn't seem to bother him. His biggest relief came from the CBT. Go figure!

I would recommend this book to all who feel in need if a very, very big laugh. Maybe Naturopanic would benefit from reading it.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2326 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3659

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review