All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
cellulose fiber
      #357816 - 04/15/10 05:07 AM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

I know there have been other posts about this, but I just wanted to clarify. If cellulose fiber is added to a bread, not a whole grain bread, should it be safe?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

This is insoluble fiber. I'd be very cautious. -nt- new
      #357818 - 04/15/10 12:20 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: This is insoluble fiber. I'd be very cautious. -nt- new
      #357825 - 04/16/10 07:15 AM
Allisonmary

Since it is in a soluble fiber bread, would this be a good way to get some insoluble fiber, or would it be best to just avoid this bread do u think? I don't know if you have seen but Thomas came out with plain bagels that are flattened without the extra dough inside. They added cellulose fiber though so each bagel has 4 grams of fiber.

I couldn't eat it. -nt- new
      #357829 - 04/16/10 12:05 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: I couldn't eat it. -nt- new
      #357849 - 04/17/10 06:01 AM
Allisonmary

Can I ask you why you can't eat it? Is it the particular ingredient. As long as it has more soluble than insolube it should be ok shouldn't it? I did eat half of one and noticed my stools were looser. Is that what it would do to you you think? Thanks

#357850 - 04/17/10 06:20 AM
Syl

Yes - when I eat foods that are high in insoluble fiber it makes my stools loose and mushy. If I eat too much insoluble fiber I get serious D.

There isn't a general rule that says if something contains similar amounts of insoluble and soluble fiber it will be safe. The ratio of soluble to insoluble fiber that you can handle is something you have to figure out for yourself.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#357853 - 04/18/10 06:20 AM
Allisonmary

So why then do you think you are able to eat oatmeal which is about the same soluble/insolble ratio?

#357855 - 04/18/10 07:39 AM
Syl

If you check the board you will find many individuals with IBS cannot handle oatmeal. I am fortunate - I eat oatmeal every morning with no problems. However, I have trouble with insoluble fiber in fruits and veggies. Generally speaking it seem that individuals with IBS-C seem to be able to handle more insoluble fiber than those with IBS-D.

There are a number of different kinds of insoluble fiber. For example, the insoluble fiber composition of cereal bran is known to exacerbate IBS while the insoluble fiber composition in veggies and fruit generally seems to be more tolerable. And some foods contain functional fiber as well as dietary fiber. Functional fibers are constituents in foods that act like soluble fiber. However, the amount of functional fiber is not given in the dietary fiber listed on packaged goods. So while the label may indicate that a food contains equal amounts of soluble and insoluble fiber when the functional fiber is accounted for the food may actually contain more soluble than insoluble fiber.

Here is a good description of the different types of fiber.

One might choose to follow a general rule to eat foods with less or equal amounts of insoluble compared to soluble. However, it is not a hard to apply this rule since one cannot figure from the label on foods the actual ratio of soluble to insoluble fiber.

Individual fiber tolerances do vary considerably. There aren't any fixed dietary rules for managing IBS just guidelines. As a result you have to experiment to figure what works for you.

--------------------

#357872 - 04/18/10 06:38 PM
Allisonmary

I am just surprised you are able to tolerate oatmeal since you seem to be very sensitive to insolubles. You think different people do well with different types of fiber? Or do you think maybe your body got accustomed to eating it? I would like to switch from cream of wheat and farina to oatmeal to cut back on the wheat a little more, but I'm a little afraid becuase I have had problems with it in the past. Thanks for the article, I know that resistant starch is in rice, bananas.. do you know of any other good sources. And I was wondering since they don't include it on the labels, can I still technically count it as part of my fiber for the day? I eat a pretty low fiber diet but I have been eating quite a bit of rice and bananas, does that count?

Edited by Allisonmary (04/19/10 03:54 AM)

#357878 - 04/19/10 06:05 AM
Syl

As you can see from some of the postings some people can handle some kinds of soluble fiber supplements but not others. Indeed it is likely that some people handle some kinds of fiber different than others.

Resistant starches and in fact all functional fiber can be counted in the daily fiber intake. Too bad they don't give the amounts on food labels. I eat 1/2 semi-ripe banana with my oatmeal to give me more resistant starches and effectively increase my soluble fiber intake. There is a considerable amount of resistant starch in oatmeal. This reference suggests there is a fair amount - 11 grams/100 grams - in uncooked oats. Not sure how much there is oatmeal but it should be a considerable amount.

You might start with a small amount of oatmeal and add banana for more soluble fiber perhaps every other day. When I prepare oatmeal I use 1/3 cup regular oatmeal and 1 cup of water with a pinch of salt. Tell us how it goes.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2922 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3874

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review