All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Advice for Snacks
      #357714 - 04/12/10 08:04 AM
Ash313

Reged: 04/12/10

I have recently been diagnosed with IBS-D and am looking for some advice regarding snacks. I am having to make significant changes from my previous diet, especially my snacks and am drawing a blank. In the past I usually had cottage cheese and fruit, almonds, or carrot sticks and other veggies as snacks with almond butter. I try to stick with a higher protein diet as I am in a physically active job and work out almost on a daily basis - without enough protein I start to lose weight and muscle rapidly. My food intolerances (or atleast what I have found so far!) are as follows:
1) Dairy - lots of diarrhea, cramping, and gas
2) Soy - nausea, cramping, gas
3) Peanuts - migraines
4) Almonds and almond butter - I can tolerate sometimes but also can lead to loose stool and gas
5) Fruits and veges - I can tolerate small amounts but only if in conjunction with a safe carbohydrate source
6) Food additives (artificial colors/flavors, sorbitol, nitrates, msg, stevia, xylitol, artificial sweetners, etc): Migraines, nausea, painful abdominal cramps, and diarrhea
--- A mess, I know!

I also am looking for suggestions on a good non-dairy/whey, non-soy based protein powder I can use to make smoothies. I have one that is an egg white protein powder which I mix with creatine, water, a frozen banana, and cocoa powder. I tolerate this better than all others (i.e no nausea and diarrhea) but it does cause some gas with mild associated cramping. Any ideas?

Any help/suggestions are appreciated I spend countless hours trying to come up with a weekly menu and reading labels in the grocery store. My doctor is most un-helpful with regards to diet suggestions and a nutritionist was an utter waste of my time and money (atleast the one I met with).
Thanks in advance,
Ashley

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Advice for Snacks new
      #357751 - 04/12/10 06:34 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Wow with your additional food sensitivities it sure makes it hard to come up with safe snacks! When I started the EFI diet I had some strange snacks that weren't quite recommended; luckily I stabilized anyway. Most of my fall back snacks are fruits and nuts. So I haven't got any quick ideas for you. I'll think about it though and I just wanted to reply since there were no other replies.
Obviously you can eat lean turkey, chicken and fish. What about the SF fruits and veggies- ok with them? I love cooked carrots and sweet potatoes. Eat much egg whites? You can always fall back on egg white, spinach and mushroom omelet with a piece of toast or tortilla.
I suppose beans and other legumes are a no-go? Otherwise a bean spread made out of an easier bean like chickpeas or white beans put on toast or crackers is good.
Good luck!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

You can get rice protein powder at health food stores for your smoothies. -nt- new
      #357770 - 04/13/10 10:04 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Advice for Snacks new
      #357793 - 04/14/10 07:08 AM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

If you like chocolate try trader joes chocolate sorbet. Its amazing!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2293 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1694

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review