All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)
Remember too that IBS symptoms can affect other parts of the body... new
      #357437 - 04/06/10 11:49 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

severe pain from the intestinal spasms can cause nausea, cold sweats, vomiting, even loss of consciousness.

The body trunk is very dense with nerves, and pain in the gut from IBS can radiate down the legs or to the lower back in some people. Pressure and pain from bloating can radiate up into the shoulders for others.

Stress and fatigue from IBS symptoms can cause headaches.

People with IBS seem to be statistically more likely to have upper GI problems such as GERD or reflux.

So, even though IBS is a brain-gut dysfunction and the problem is happening in the bowel, IBS symptoms can end up affecting other body parts.

Bottom line is what helps you is what counts, and if you get help from something that doesn't seem to have any logical benefits for IBS, trust your body. If you feel better, then what you are doing works!

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Digestive Advantage probiotics have studies on IBS as well. -nt- new
      #357438 - 04/06/10 11:49 AM
HeatherAdministrator

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Digestive Advantage probiotics have studies on IBS as well. -nt- new
      #357445 - 04/06/10 12:14 PM
julieb123

Reged: 07/19/07
Loc: uk liverpool

thank you heather

--------------------
ibs c with trapped gas

Re: SYL magnesium citrate new
      #357447 - 04/06/10 12:39 PM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

I would never choose to take a laxative. My body feels terrible after a day or two of D non-stop. It would be much easier on your system to do as Syl suggested and go back to the beginning of the EFI diet and eat very simple and safe foods.

What is your plan to start over after you clean yourself out?

--------------------
Janey

Re: Phililps new
      #357450 - 04/06/10 01:06 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

The local Target. Much, much cheaper than Align and a great product. Give it a whirl.

Heather new
      #357452 - 04/06/10 01:12 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Heather. love the last two lines of your post. The bottom line is your body and how you feel using a certain product, not necessarily what's been proven to be effective.

#357455 - 04/06/10 01:49 PM

Unregistered

well I just want to start fresh with no triggers inside and then start eating right so the stools aren't pieces and tons of bathroom trips so I can start getting more out in one trip

Yup... new
      #357457 - 04/06/10 02:54 PM
HeatherAdministrator

and I suspect that many of the things people find helpful that don't have clinical studies supporting them simply haven't yet had studies conducted.

It's been interesting to watch this unfold over the years now. Pretty much everything that helped me twenty years ago had little or absolutely no research on it. But that has gradually changed, and now there are dietary studies, probiotic studies, peppermint studies, soluble fiber supplement studies, etc.

It's always great to get some clear affirmation that what you think is working for you has some rational explanation. But I think it's more important to do what works for you, period, even if there aren't any studies, or the studies so far don't support what you're doing, etc. Studies can and do change over the years.

- H

--------------------

#357460 - 04/06/10 05:18 PM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

If you can get a handle on your choices of what you eat and really commit to following EFI diet faithfully I think you will see an improvement in your symptoms.

The way you are eating now is making you miserable, and you have nothing to loose by giving this diet a fair chance. You are going to have to find the will power to resist the foods that are making you feel sick. I think you also need to find something to take your mind off of IBS during the day. It is not helping to sit around and think about going to the bathroom all day. If you are home and end up having to go several times during the day try not to stress about it, just go when you have to go.

Wouldn't it be wonderful to take 3 days off to do something fun instead of taking a laxative to clean yourself out?

--------------------
Janey

#357461 - 04/06/10 05:21 PM

Unregistered

ibs so bad all I want is to clean myself out on my days off then go righ on track to the diet...

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 6296 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 67874

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review