All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Is it possible to have a negative reactiong to concentrated peppermint?
      #356947 - 03/24/10 07:15 AM
PABeachBum

Reged: 06/13/08

Hi. TMI Warning ahead.

I took two peppermint oil capsules last night before bed. When I woke up to a D attack, I noticed it smelled like peppermint and was a little "stingy" . I was actually hoping it would calm things down and not cause a D attack

is it possible peppermint cant be causing flareups?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Is it possible to have a negative reactiong to concentrated peppermint? new
      #356948 - 03/24/10 07:39 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

It is best to take them an hour before eating. It might not be wise to take them on an empty stomach before bed time. Check Heather's stick post "Peppermint Oil Capsules - How to Use 'Em!" at the top of the page in this section of the message board.

Peppermint oil is best suited for managing flatulence, abdominal pain and distension. It likely has little direct effect on D and it probably does not cause it. You can read more about using peppermint oil to manage GI symptoms in this article in the American Family Physician (you may have to skip over an ad)

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#356950 - 03/24/10 08:35 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Yes, it's possible. My sister has a similar reaction. She has IBS, too, though she manages her differently than I manage mine.

#356972 - 03/24/10 05:19 PM
PABeachBum

Reged: 06/13/08

Quote:

It is best to take them an hour before eating. It might not be wise to take them on an empty stomach before bed time. Check Heather's stick post "Peppermint Oil Capsules - How to Use 'Em!" at the top of the page in this section of the message board.

Peppermint oil is best suited for managing flatulence, abdominal pain and distension. It likely has little direct effect on D and it probably does not cause it. You can read more about using peppermint oil to manage GI symptoms in this article in the American Family Physician (you may have to skip over an ad)

Thats contrary to everything else I read that says its perfect for spasms and D, including the sales material on this very web site.

#356974 - 03/24/10 05:58 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Oh - there is no question enteric peppermint caps are good for spasms & pain and they can be used by all IBS subtypes (C, D & A) with reasonable success. I used them myself and I am IBS-D.

The question is will they relieve specifically prevent or alleviate D? I am not sure there is strong clinical evidence to support this supposition.

I presume you read Heather's sticky post at the top of this message board? And did you see the instructions on the Tummy Tamers that says "Take the Tummy Tamers on an empty stomach at least one hour before a meal. This gives the capsules plenty of time to reach the intestines before they dissolve."

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

You can also check the studies on the research library new
      #356987 - 03/25/10 12:43 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

here peppermint oil studies where I've tried to post every study I could find on this topic.

Just scroll down the list and you'll see a lot on peppermint.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5781 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2224

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review