All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
acacia fibre
      #356940 - 03/23/10 07:04 PM
sheila dawson

Reged: 03/24/04
Loc: CANADA

I happened to check out AMAZON.COM and noticed thery carried the ACACIA fIBRE. it STATED THAT IIT IS A medical product and should be medically supervised.
i didnt know a person needed to be under a doctors care to use it.
I was hoping it would add some bulk to my stomach since the rice porridge i have been having doensn't do mnuch on its own for me anymore.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

It's a labeling issue... new
      #356957 - 03/24/10 10:25 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

the requirements for medical foods are that the labels state they are to be used under a physician's supervision. This is for several reasons: so people don't self-diagnose a disease/disorder, don't misuse a product, don't use a medical food that might be harmful to them if they don't have the disease/disorder the medical food is for, and because some medical foods require tube feeding.

Acacia is not harmful to someone who doesn't have IBS, and the product itself doesn't need administration by a doctor, but the medical food labeling requirements still apply.

Soluble fiber can be labeled many different ways in the US (as a dietary supplement, as a laxative drug, as a medical food) and those categories all have different labeling requirements.

Hope that helps a bit,

Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: It's a labeling issue... new
      #356975 - 03/24/10 10:00 PM
sheila dawson

Reged: 03/24/04
Loc: CANADA

HEATHER YES, that clears it up a lot thanks.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 434 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1112

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review