All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Aaagh! Cramping and digestive enzymes..oh and how much fat?
      #35447 - 01/06/04 12:23 AM
Claire

Reged: 01/27/03
Loc: Paris, France

Hello
I've just started to take digestive enzymes over the last @ days and have had some awful cramping attacks and a constipated and bloated feeling. The ones I'm taking contain the usual enzymes plus a few herbs (gentian, peppermint oil) and also Betaine Hydrochloride (HCL). I remember taking cider vinegar once to increase acid production and having awful constipation so maybe the HCL has caused it. Has anyone else had the same experience?
Also, how many grams of fat are allowed on Heather's diet?

Thanks for your repiles in advance,

Claire

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Fat new
      #35448 - 01/06/04 03:03 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Can't help with the enzyme problem I'm afraid.

With the diet, it's not a daily fat consumption that you have to stick to, but a percentage of EVERY food you eat. Each food should have no more than 25% of its calories from fat (NB. fat is 9cal per gram).

May have found the baddie..... new
      #35456 - 01/06/04 05:28 AM
Claire

I may have come up with my own answer and the cause could be a brand of soya milk (poor old soya the culprit again) I used and also a cereal which had wholegrain millet in it. The soya was a speacial "added fibre" type which had 3g of fibre per serving with guar gum and a thing called lignin. Isn't that an insoluble fibre which is particularly badly tolerated?
If this doesn't turn out to be the culprit, I would still like so;e info on digestive enzymes -particularly when to take them, how much etc.

Bye,
Claire

Re: May have found the baddie..... new
      #35462 - 01/06/04 08:09 AM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

Claire: Some of us D Ibsers cannot tolerate Guar Gum. I have to watch for it in everything I eat as it will give me an attack.

Well, an individual food could have a higher fat content... new
      #35496 - 01/06/04 12:00 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

like an avocado or nuts or salmon. But the whole meal or snack you're eating shouldn't have more than 25% of total calories (30% if you're well-stabilized) from fat. So the grams/calories of fat per day will vary.

Guar gum is Benefiber - it's a soluble fiber. Some folks do just fine with it but others get bad bloating and gas.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Your digestive enzyme new
      #35506 - 01/06/04 12:20 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Before IBS I could handle HCL and vinegar, etc. When I got IBS I discovered THE HARD WAY (with cramping) that I had to stay away from HCL....soooo, you may want to try another brand of digestive enzyme without HCL. It made ALL the difference in the world for me. (I now use Essential Enzymes from Source Naturals or Priority One's Gastri-Gest). I also use probiotics.

Also, fats can play a huge role for many of us...............keep them as low as possible and you may see a difference.

Maybe this can help..............hope so....
Kandee

--------------------

Inulin? new
      #35597 - 01/06/04 08:15 PM
Claire

And what about inulin? Isn't that a fibre to be avoided on an empty stomach?
Claire

Re: Inulin? new
      #35601 - 01/06/04 09:08 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Inulin is a soluble fiber, but it's really likely to cause gas and bloating. FiberChoice is made from inulin. I tolerate psyllium just fine but even I can't take inulin. In small amounts it's probably fine - but as a main ingredient in a supplement I'd avoid it.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6576 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2221

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review