All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
Re: It seems you are preaching to the choir! nt new
      #352215 - 11/16/09 12:37 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Yep. lol

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: The watch comment... new
      #352218 - 11/16/09 12:57 PM
Gerikat

Jeez, enough! Anyone can find any study to back up their opinion. Studies are a dime a dozen, and anyone can find them on the internet, if we choose to. Please just stop. I get it. I know there are ongoing studies.

Thank you! And I agree... new
      #352219 - 11/16/09 01:00 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

there are benefits to both approaches, and people either seem to like the balance or they just discard one aspect altogether and focus on the other.

Some people really enjoy and appreciate the research and the scientific aspects, others simply could not care less and find the whole topic unhelpful. They want help for how to live and that's that.

I too appreciate that people tend to be very polite and accomodating about the different approaches regardless of whether they find one or the other more suitable to their own needs.

I'd like the board to encompass as many posters as possible while still staying on target, and also staying a courteous place to be. Usually I think that is pretty much the case.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Nonsense versus Horse Sense... new
      #352220 - 11/16/09 01:04 PM
MikeCA1870

Reged: 03/30/09

Just want to throw some support behind Syl. His posts (always thought you were female until this post) are enlightening and the studies are incredibly important. I know my body, sure, but diet, stress releif, exercise, and every holistic treatment du jour didn't help me at all, while 30mg of Desipramine allow me to work every day without fear. That's not to say I don't follow the EFI diet, I do, religiously, it's just that had I left it at that and not taken to pharmaceuticals I'd still be fully miserable today instead of like 30-40% miserable .

The studies energize me because I WANT to know how the watch is made, because you can't really fully understand the watch until you do so. I think our culture is the worse off for relying on all this great science and technology but not really being able to explain how it works, just that it does.

Also, it gives me hope for a cure knowing that really smart people are out there trying to figure it out.

I may be one of those "brainy males" who apparently dominate and create conflict in forums as was mentioned earlier on this topic, but if I want a problem solved, then I'm going to attack that problem from every angle, leave no stone unturned, and never settle for good enough.

So thanks Syl for your contributions.

#352221 - 11/16/09 01:07 PM
Gerikat

Then you're in the right place.

I use regular white flour..HTH new
      #352223 - 11/16/09 01:09 PM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

Re: I use regular white flour..HTH new
      #352224 - 11/16/09 01:12 PM
Gerikat

Hmmm...interesting, so do I. Just plain, simple ole white flour.

Re: How does all this research help us through our daily lives with IBS? new
      #352226 - 11/16/09 01:17 PM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

It really doesn't at all!!!

Once one understands the basics of some level of stability and prevention of attacks, we can help one another with questions and practical suggestions, and tasty recipes. We also are needing some level of sympathy and encouragement, where we may not find such in our lives elsewhere.

Some of this head stuff reminds me of people who know the bible forward and backwards, can recite specific scripture in a heartbeat, but do not practice practical application in their own lives as an encouraging example to others. Sad, but true.

I am a Christian senior woman, yet am careful who I spend significant time with or allow to influence me with their head knowledge, absent them being a living example of encouragement and on the right path themselves.

If I wanted, or felt I needed a college education and degree in IBS to remain stable, I would go to college. I simply don't feel nor believe such is necessary at all. For those who want such, great! For those of us who don't, leave us alone!

Many of us have made it clear that we don't want to get into all the technical studies about IBS. We are looking for practical answers to consider for personal symptom control, and that's the only reason why we are here.

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

For Heather... new
      #352233 - 11/16/09 01:29 PM
Windchimes

Perhaps we need a category for technical information and studies from member input for those who actually enjoy reading all of that stuff. For me, such sounds like a study in technical cause and effect, and such really doesn't help me at all when my gut is hurting and my bowels are exploding.

In fact, such can be a stressor as I do not have time for it. I'm busy attempting to get present symptoms under control. I sometimes feel attacked by technical responses. I wish some people would just start a new thread for their 'head sense' of factual reading material.

In no way do I mean to be rude, just somewhat weary of those who insist on paragraph after paragraph of technical information as to cause. I understand the basics of the psychosomatic connection that makes much sense, and that's enough for me.

--------------------

#352234 - 11/16/09 01:35 PM
Windchimes

If you want the time, ask for the time. If you want to know how the watch was made, feel free to ask that question.

Answers need to be appropriate to the question asked, simple!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1321 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 66956

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review