All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
So If We Can't Have Caffeine................
      #348891 - 08/10/09 02:08 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

Then what can we have so that we can have that burst of energy/be more awake in the morning.

I've asked before and been told just to get more sleep, but that simply isn't a practical or helpful solution.
Even if you get 7-8 hours, some of us are on medicines which makes us drowsy or simply need that jump start of morning energy.

I am pretty groggy in the AM and would love it if there was a way I could have something like Coke/Coffee to get me focused...just about every adult...even those who are healthy....have their AM coffee or their coffee break.

This isn't a sign of having an unhealthy habit...us humans needs a boost to get through the workday.

So...for those of you here with IBS....what have you done?
Is there anything we can have that will have a similar effect that an AM coffee or coffee break has?

It really puts me as a professional at a disadvantage that I can not have
1) Coffee
2) Green Tea
3) Energy Drinks

I do not have time to be boiling tea in my office (hence this why they invented starbucks...professionals can't excuse themselves from meetings to tend to tea).

1) Is there any drink/supplement that is IBS AND CONVENIENT we can have to provide us with the energy boost that coke/coffee/green tea in the AM/PM does?

Thanks!

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: So If We Can't Have Caffeine................ new
      #348899 - 08/10/09 04:15 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Hi there, yes, I have the same situation at times. It seems there are times during the day when my energy lags. It is usually the same times every day, early morning and early afternoon.

I have not found an answer yet, either. But, since I have flexibility with my profession, I tend to work more in the afternoon, since I am NOT a morning person, at all.

To be honest with you, I do have the occasional cup of coffee or green tea, but usually only on a really bad energy day. I know others here "preach" (I believe you used this word in another post) about it, but I think it is an individual thing. I am by no means encouraging to go against diet rules...only sharing what I do occasionally. I don't make it a habit.

As for energy drinks, I am sure there has to be some good ones out there. I have never tried them, but I hear they are good for that energy boost. Maybe some others on here have some ideas for you regarding these.

I could hear the frustration in your posts, and I agree. You certainly don't want to come here and be preached at, when you are dealing with this condition. And you are right, most of us on the go, don't always have the time to brew tea or cook all day.

I wish I had some more answers for you. I have days where my energy is pretty good, but others where it just is tough to get through the day.

Wish there were a good answer here... new
      #348921 - 08/11/09 11:26 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

but I honestly don't know of one.

Part of the problem is that anything that wakes you up, gives you energy, revs up your body, etc. is also going to rev up your digestive tract, which could then cause IBS symptoms to flare.

If you're used to Starbucks, you might try one of their herbal or decaf teas - just the hot drink itself can help wake you up. Some plain old sugar in there will give you a quick energy boost (though it won't last, so please make sure you're eating a safe breakfast for that).

I'm not sure if you're unable to make any drink for yourself, but if you can then try one of the herbal or soy coffees - they're delicious and will help wake you up without caffeine.

If you are depending on buying something somewhere, a hot sweetened decaf or herbal tea is my best guess. I depend on this a lot, and find it pretty effective.

Best,
H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#348926 - 08/11/09 02:07 PM
rosy

Reged: 07/24/09
Loc: Israel

1 Tablespoon of pure honey on an empty stomach in the morning will give you energy boost.

--------------------
Now, where is my fennel tea?

#348929 - 08/11/09 02:21 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

It would also be a way of telling if you were fructose intolerant.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#348954 - 08/12/09 05:59 AM
Joannelcoq

Reged: 10/16/06
Loc: Long Island, NY

Green Tea has less then half the caffeine of coffee though.

#348956 - 08/12/09 06:37 AM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Yes, and you can get decaff green tea, but I don't know if you get the same benefits with decaf??? But, I sure do love green tea.

Exercise and quick tea brewing at work new
      #348980 - 08/12/09 03:59 PM
glasgowgirl

Reged: 09/01/08
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Personally coffee has a disastrous and immediate affect on my D so I never touch the stuff.

Energy boosters for me are exercise in the morning - even a ten min walk helps wake me up and herb teas. There's also some lovely yoga routines out there that take ten or so minutes. Itunes has quite a few pod casts that you can download.

Also make sure your eating enough at breakfast.

I also have a kettle at my desk so all I need to do is fill it up switch it on and let the leaves or tea bag steep for five minutes. Really I probably spending less that 30 seconds actually making the tea.

--------------------
Stable IBS D

Re: Exercise and quick tea brewing at work new
      #348988 - 08/12/09 05:43 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

I do not drink coffee and prefer to buy something already prepared.
What about the following

1) Snapple Teas
2) Sobe water
3) Smart Water
4) Nantucket Nectars

Are those
1) IBS safe
2) Good energy drinks?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

re: caffeine new
      #348990 - 08/12/09 06:41 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I should mention that I do eat dark chocolate pretty often. A little bit even in the evening doesn't keep me up but a lot in a dessert will. It is something to keep an eye on.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2343 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2808

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review