All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
flour for baking
      #348683 - 08/03/09 06:16 AM
Derri

Reged: 08/03/09

I am hoping to use up some flours I used on a gluten-free diet for some of Heather's breads. I have sorghum, brown rice and tapioca flours. Does anybody have a comment as to should I or shouldn't I risk using these? My IBS symptoms are finally lessening thanks to Heather's magic and I don't want to do anything to upset the progress that's going on right now. But those bread recipes look really good and I have a lot of flour that needs using up. Thanks for the help. Derri

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: flour for baking new
      #348695 - 08/03/09 01:08 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - the flours should be safe for IBS, just make sure you're using recipes that are specific for these types of flours or the breads won't come out. You can't use gluten-free flours as equal substitutes for wheat flours in baking.

But, if you have special gluten free recipes and such that take this into account you should be fine.

Best,
H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: flour for baking new
      #348696 - 08/03/09 01:45 PM
vjcblueyes

Reged: 06/02/09
Loc: Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

I just wanted to say that I have made 3 of the breads in Heather's book Eating for IBS and they are sooooo delicious.

Actually... new
      #348734 - 08/04/09 11:13 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

...you might be okay if you use xantham gum or something with the gluten-free flour. I think that's the name of it. I once made Heather's peppermint fudge cake with gluten-free flour, and I think I had to use xantham gum or something WITH the gluten-free flour for it to be a direct substitute for white flour. There should be directions on the bag of gluten-free flour as to how this works. I used Bob's Red Mill gluten free flour and it had directions for substituting on the bag. Or ask the internet.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4371 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1045

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review